MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SSL Certificates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can anyone help me out with these, and explain them to me! Im finding it hard to understand, I know the point of them but when I buy it what am I buying...

code, script? How do I point an SSL to my chosen domain.

What do you need to get one, they mention about identity checks? What are these?

Thanks,
Alicksis
When you setup an SSL certificate it will "sign" your website so visitors can view the certificate for secured (HTTPS) pages. You can get a simple Rapid SSL that is completely automated for about $20/year which doesn't require anything except for a dedicated IP. What you would do is sign up with your business contact information (phone, address, name, e-mail, etc...) and it will display that information along with the certificate signer (DigiCert, VeriSign, Thawte, Comodo, etc...).

In reality it does very little because you can generate unsigned SSL for free that do the exact same thing but it does give some assurance to your visitors that you took the time to spend $20 so you do care a little.

Of course you can go all out and buy a top of the line wildcard SSL certification that requires actual checks by the issuer (signer) and will both insure your company from web-based fraud and allow you to display a seal from the signer showing you are legit.

Oh, and I almost forgot, the SSL certificates secure your HTTPS pages with various levels of encryption (based on the SSL certificate).
Thanks for that KuJoe, after reading that I have purchased my own SSL Certificate, do you know where you can get the key from through? Thanks.
cPanel usually, there should be an SSL manager there.