MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can't enter any forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I am a new MyBB user -- just successfully installed 1.4.10 into my local XAMPP few days ago. Every thing was just fine until I entered my admin CP to set up some new categories/forums I wanted (and deleted the default forums there). After setting up new forums, I went to see my BB page and it showed the new categories/forums exactly in the order I setup. However, when I clicked any category or forum, I got this error:

"Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 404
localhost
Mon Dec 28 17:56:33 2009
Apache/2.2.12 (Unix) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.12 OpenSSL/0.9.8k PHP/5.3.0 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.0 "

I returned to my BB page and checked the URL of the forum I clicked and they are like this: http://localhost/Forum/forum-7.html
And I went to check my local server's Forum folder and there are no such files (forum-4.html, forum-7.html, etc) in it!

It seemed I have successfully setup new forums from admin CP, but it didn't create those files. But, why??? Can anyone help. Appreciate and thanks in advance.
You have to enable apache module mod_rewrite to be able to use seo urls. If you don't want to use seo urls you can just turn it off by going to configuration page in the admin cp and set the option "Disabled" for the Enable search engine friendly URLs? setting.
Hi Dragon, Thanks for replying. I tried, but had hard time to enable apache module for this issue. Then I just went to MyBB admin cp and disabled using SEF URL and it worked as you said. Now I am just testing MyBB on my local xampp server and sef url is no big deal. But when I implement MyBB on my live site running server by hosting co, I sure want to enable sef url. So, how do I go enable server module to resolve this? For a sharing hosting account, can I request hosting co to set it up or I have to do it myself? If I do, can you provide a detail instructive process to enable server module (mod_rewrite) for this issue? (maybe I can try it on my xampp server?) Thanks
In most of the hosting packages it comes enabled already. Just give it a try at first. If it doesn't work, you should ask your hosting provider to whether they enable it.
(2009-12-29, 05:57 AM)DragonFever Wrote: [ -> ]In most of the hosting packages it comes enabled already. Just give it a try at first. If it doesn't work, you should ask your hosting provider to whether they enable it.

Thanks, but I would like to try enable my local xampp server to accept sef url when setting MyBB run sef url. I tried editing httpd.conf with no good. Can someone help? Thanks
Turn off the SEF URLs for now...?? You won't be hosting the live site on XAMPP but, as mentioned above, your main host will probably have this ability, so you can just use them then... editing server settings to get this to work is a bit beyond the scope of our support.