MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Installation Problem (again!)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. I run a forum on one website without any problems, but it's been a year or two since I installed it.

I've created a new site (www.gatherers.org.uk), and I'd like to install a new forum on it. I downloaded 1.4.11, and created a new database on the site: "forums". I uploaded the contents of the Upload directory into the forums directory on the site, changed the .inc/config.php file to read:

$config['database']['type'] = 'mysql';
$config['database']['database'] = 'snip';
$config['database']['table_prefix'] = 'mybb_';

$config['database']['hostname'] = 'localhost';
$config['database']['username'] = 'snip';
$config['database']['password'] = 'snip';

Then I CHMOD the required and recommended files. Went to www.gatherers.org.uk/forums/install ...

When I enter the settings on the Database Configuration page, I use

Database Server Hostname: localhost
Database Username: snip
Database Password: snip
Database Name: snip
Table Prefix: mybb_

I then get an error message, saying "here seems to be one or more errors with the database configuration information that you supplied:

Could not connect to the database server at 'localhost' with the supplied username and password. Are you sure the hostname and user details are correct?"

I have started again from scratch several times, and I still can't get past this stage. Is there anything that anyone can see that is obvious that maybe I'm missing?

Thanks for your time.

(MacBook Pro, Mac OSX 10.5.8, Safari, Transmit)
Why did you manually put the database details in...?? That's why there's the database configuration step of the installer... we can't really help with this though, we have absolutely no way of know what piece of information is wrong and what it needs to be, you'll need to ask your host.
You sure you got your data base right?

I got cpanel my login username is arfs so i mine would be

arfs_mybb
PW:*What you entered for the mysql user*
user prefix: arfs_mybb2

hope this helps :/
I also removed your database details as you really don't want to be posting those in public...