MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Legal question.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Is it legal in Canada, to download a game, but use a legal key? I have a crap load of keys for games i like (C/C Renegade mostly lol.) And i don't have all the cds/ or they are damaged.
Err, not sure about Canada specifically, but I always thought it was okay for you to have "backups" of your games just in case your CD is lost or damaged. As long as you have the key and/or bought the game, having backups is okay.

That's what I've always thought anyway. There may be some issues with that idea in reality.
(2009-12-31, 01:55 AM)Ryan Loos Wrote: [ -> ]Err, not sure about Canada specifically, but I always thought it was okay for you to have "backups" of your games just in case your CD is lost or damaged. As long as you have the key and/or bought the game, having backups is okay.

That's what I've always thought anyway. There may be some issues with that idea in reality.

This is true in the US WITH original discs OR, if that is lost, then proof of purchase. Like a Microsoft CoA, or the Box/Books to a Game are usually sufficient.

I believe Canada is the same, or very close.
In Canada, even in Quebec, it would be illegal to have a copy of any software with a duplicate of any key also downloaded.

If your Key is genuine and was bought from the original game distributor, you can keep one backup copy of the game for safety. Canadian laws provide for that even if the license do not permit it.
Quote:Is it legal in Canada, to download a game, but use a legal key?

I doubt if this would be considered legal if you're not purchasing the actual game. Seriously, your best bet would be to contact the game manufacturer/creator asking them for info such as this.
Thats a backup. I want to find a download for the game, yet use a legal key. I think i will take Lufbra advice and contact westwood.
I've done this in the past. Like with diablo 2 my disks were all scratched and what now but I still had the key. (Now blizzard lets you download full games through battle.net using torrents (or some other p2p technology but I'm pretty sure it's torrents).

Last I read Canada doesn't even consider downloading illegal you just can't upload(or distribute).
lol. that was like 2005 "Sharing" is illegal now :p
(2009-12-31, 02:31 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]Thats a backup. I want to find a download for the game, yet use a legal key. I think i will take Lufbra advice and contact westwood.

Whether you download or burn your backup, its STILL a backup copy of it. So just do it. Or you can pay me to send you a copy of my discs if I can find them Toungue (pay me the shipping that is)
lol. Nah, i emailed westwood. If all goes bad anways, i'll just steal my uncles copy Rolleyes
Pages: 1 2 3