MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Easier Plugin Installer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I would like to see the ability to upload the plugin's .ZIP file right into the forum, and have extraction and everything done behind the scenes.

Just SayinSmile
The plugin system can''t be easier that it already is.
For starter website owners ANY software isn't easy. They're all pretty confusing, as you don't know how to work with FTP or databases and all that stuff. The plugin system IS easy, not so easy for those who just started creating websites or forums though. But that's pretty normal. And I don't think MyBB needs a built-in uploader for plugins.. yet..
Most plugin authors package the files in the same order and file structure as they need to be uploaded in, so you just upload it all and everything goes where it needs to go.
I'd have to agree with all replies - it's already simple enough. Besides, add in the ability to do it from the AdminCP without FTP, and any admin can do whatever they'd like with the forum.
Well... it's already easy to install a plugin already :p phpBB needs you to add and edit and run phpMyAdmin database by your own...
Someone has been wrapped up in cotton wool by Joomla :p I don't think it needs to be much simpler, a .zip package system I suppose would be nice but there are much more important things to do first I think.
If anything, it would be easier to upload the single file directly because of how the files are packaged in the .zip file. Everyone puts them together differently.
I have developped a plugins manager able to upload a single PHP plugin file as well as a ZIP file containing the plugin. It is able to manage the plugin itself, the language files, the images and all other needed files for most of the actual plugins ZIP structures. Before installation the ZIP file will be analysed and you will see the structure, the readme file and the license if present before the final installation.

You will also have the ability to delete the plugins no longer needed, they would be disactivated and uninstalled as needed before beeing deleted.

If anyone wants it you can get it here on MyBBCodes.com.

P.S. If any plugin developper want to make their own zipped plugins displayed as 100% fully compatible with this tool, just contact me and i will give you the simple details. But it is not really necessary, because most of the plugins would be correctly processed even if not 100% compatible. Wink
There is a plugin that does this already in the MyBB Mods database.

However I personally don't see why we need to change the current setup. If you can't install a plugin you can't install MyBB. There is nothing that's part of a plugin install that's different from MyBB installation. FTP, chmod if required, and activate. Not complicated at all.
Pages: 1 2 3