MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrading mybb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The upgrade guide says i need to ...
CHMOD the following. CHMOD files to 666 (or 777, whatever suits your server) and directories to 777:

1. ./inc/settings.php
2. ./inc/config.php
3. ./uploads/
4. ./uploads/avatars/
5. ./inc/languages (1.2 and later)
6. ./admin/backups (1.2 and later)
7. ./cache (1.4 and later)
8. ./cache/themes (1.4 and later)

My question is if i finish the upgrade, do i need to set those files and folders back to original CHMOD number to default after upgrade?

For example, my current config.php is set to 644 and i have to change it to 666 during upgrade. Then after upgrade, do i set them to 644 again?
Nope. Just leave them to the same.
but isn't 666 dangerous? Like people will be able to have an access to 666 number.. And i don't want ppl to modify config.php.. Am i misunderstanding???
No, those CHMODs are needed for a reason. config.php can be 444 if you want to though.
oh ok. so after i change those files and folders to 666 or 777 for upgrade and leave it on, i won't get hacked right?
No, things will break if you change them to the standard CHMOD settings. They should already be 666 and 777 though, you shouldn't have needed to change those to upgrade...
wait really!? for me, i haven't upgraded yet, and config.php is set to 644 and admin-backup folder and cache- themes are set to 755 right now.. this is weird. I haven't touched anything since i installed myBB.. Can you help me?
What do you need help with...?? You wouldn't have been able to install if these CHMODs weren't right, the installer wouldn't have allowed it (not the admin backups folder though, that's optional), did you change them back afterwards?? I'm very surprised your theme is working if it's set to 755... set them to what they need to be and everything'll be fine.
Oh ok.. i think i installed incorrectly lol.
Thank you for your fast reply!
(2010-01-01, 02:44 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]What do you need help with...?? You wouldn't have been able to install if these CHMODs weren't right, the installer wouldn't have allowed it (not the admin backups folder though, that's optional), did you change them back afterwards?? I'm very surprised your theme is working if it's set to 755... set them to what they need to be and everything'll be fine.

If the theme cache folder is unwritable, then MyBB will simply call the theme from the database instead. It's just a bit more overhead.