MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 1.4.11 Installed fine - settings cannot be changed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1.4.11 Installed fine - settings cannot be changed.

Fresh install. All green lights.

The board looks fine but absolutely nothing I make changes to will stick.

http://newelliottwaverule.org/forums/

There really is no more detail I can give other than there are no warnings
being generated or any evidence of a problem in all areas except one...

That is when I try to modify the name of the default "My Category"
through edit forum sub-menu of Options function, the error returned
was "Invalid Forum ID Selected". That seems impossible since you need
to use the Options sub-menu from button on individual forum lines.

I cannot make any settings changes - just returned to same edit screen
after clicking on "Save Settings".

Search users returns to Search users page with no results.

Adding Forum just returns to edit screen without effect as is the
characteristic result of all edits attempted.

settings.php is permissions 0666

I am on Hostgator

Please help.
put the permissions to 777
Don't set it to 777, it's not necessary. Can you ask them to whitelist your domain against mod_security?? I think it can cause this issue sometimes.
(2010-01-01, 10:51 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Don't set it to 777, it's not necessary. Can you ask them to whitelist your domain against mod_security?? I think it can cause this issue sometimes.

Thx for quick response - I'll call them right now

will advise
(2010-01-01, 10:51 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Don't set it to 777, it's not necessary. Can you ask them to whitelist your domain against mod_security?? I think it can cause this issue sometimes.

Sorry that did not make anything change.

Still unable to do anything with board.

Thanks for the help.
BTW is there a way to check that Hostgator whitelisted ok?

Any other suggestions also appreciated.
To be honest Hostgator sucks. We had so many problems with them when performing a merger for one of our clients, that we refuse to ever do another Merger on their crap service. You can get MUCH higher quality hosting for the same or only a little more money.

You can read me about Hostgator and all the problems my forum owner and I had here:
Twitchy & Dylan vs. Hostgator

(I'm Dylan)
FYI, that was a permissions AND Mod_Security issue combined. And the guy from Hostgator kept lying to us and saying that he had whitelisted the domain in question for Mod_Sec and he never did. I ended up going around Mod_Sec using .htaccess

Screw Hostgator Smile

And GoDaddy too. They were just as much of a problem for our client that used them!

IX or Omnis all the way Wink
(2010-01-01, 11:48 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest Hostgator sucks. We had so many problems with them when performing a merger for one of our clients, that we refuse to ever do another Merger on their crap service. You can get MUCH higher quality hosting for the same or only a little more money.

You can read me about Hostgator and all the problems my forum owner and I had here:
Twitchy & Dylan vs. Hostgator

(I'm Dylan)
FYI, that was a permissions AND Mod_Security issue combined. And the guy from Hostgator kept lying to us and saying that he had whitelisted the domain in question for Mod_Sec and he never did. I ended up going around Mod_Sec using .htaccess

Screw Hostgator Smile

And GoDaddy too. They were just as much of a problem for our client that used them!

IX or Omnis all the way Wink

I appreciate your quick reply and willingness to help.

However it is not really Hostgator who will be booted.

They host about 2% of the web and I find their support quite good.

To suggest that someone change their hosting is not really acceptable
when you are talking about a major hosting company.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion but what I mean is that as a solution this is not helpful.

Are there any other suggestions? Others speak highly of MyBB and
yet you have basically just shown me the door.
All I can suggest is that you verify correct permissions for ALL files, and make sure mod_security is off (rename the htaccess.txt to .htaccess in your MyBB folder, NOTE: That's DOThtaccess you need to rename too)

Then if all the permissions are correct to what the installation instructions state you need, I'd try re-installing from scratch. But we really did have some serious issues with Hostgator, I suggest you at least read the thread I linked, as it may give you ideas on things to try.

As for Hostgator hosting "2%" of the net, I doubt its quite that high. Maybe 2% of US sites, but even that I would doubt considering how many hosting providers there are. But face it, Hostgator is a simple hosting system for the masses, not a high quality hosting system like the 2 I named both are. Which is also the only reason they would have such a high percentage of the hosting out there. They and GoDaddy and the others that get TV advertising spots draw in a lot of people who just run very basic websites. Of course, that should include the ability to run an out of the box forum. Undecided

Anyways, I respect your choice is yours to make as to who to host with. But I'm offering my professional opinion. I would also like to point out that I am not MyBB staff, just a fellow member who enjoys helping the community.
Just renaming the htaccess.txt to .htaccess will turn off mod_security v1

If Hostgator has upgraded to mod_sec2 they'll HAVE to whitelist it. Which means you'll need to call them and make absolute sure they did.

If both of those fail, let us know. OOPS, he deleted his post lol.
(2010-01-02, 12:20 AM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]All I can suggest is that you verify correct permissions for ALL files, and make sure mod_security is off (rename the htaccess.txt to .htaccess in your MyBB folder, NOTE: That's DOThtaccess you need to rename too)

Then if all the permissions are correct to what the installation instructions state you need, I'd try re-installing from scratch. But we really did have some serious issues with Hostgator, I suggest you at least read the thread I linked, as it may give you ideas on things to try.

As for Hostgator hosting "2%" of the net, I doubt its quite that high. Maybe 2% of US sites, but even that I would doubt considering how many hosting providers there are. But face it, Hostgator is a simple hosting system for the masses, not a high quality hosting system like the 2 I named both are. Which is also the only reason they would have such a high percentage of the hosting out there. They and GoDaddy and the others that get TV advertising spots draw in a lot of people who just run very basic websites. Of course, that should include the ability to run an out of the box forum. Undecided

Anyways, I respect your choice is yours to make as to who to host with. But I'm offering my professional opinion. I would also like to point out that I am not MyBB staff, just a fellow member who enjoys helping the community.
Just renaming the htaccess.txt to .htaccess will turn off mod_security v1

If Hostgator has upgraded to mod_sec2 they'll HAVE to whitelist it. Which means you'll need to call them and make absolute sure they did.

If both of those fail, let us know. OOPS, he deleted his post lol.

Many thanks. I did realize your position and that your opinion may have validity and experience behind it. I do fine with over 20 domains hosted with them though and have had dedicated and all that... but like you say the out of the box forum should work. Smile

... yes we posted at the same time ...

Anyways I will have a go at this. Thx again.
All good it seems.

a second call to Hostgator did take care of it so they may not have done it correctly the first time as you mentioned. The person said that when he scanned for it ( ? ) he found a second rule that needed to be handled.

Thanks once again for your help and nice to virtually meet you Dylan. Smile