MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 500 Internal Server Error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to set up a forum for our charity and I've run into a problem. The url to my forum is http://www.bridgeofhopehouse.com/forum/. I followed all of the installation instructions and thought everything was installed fine as I recieved no error, or unusual messages during install. Following the installation, if I clicked on the link to go to my forum, I just get a '500 Internal Server Error' page that states "The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.
The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log."
If I click on the Admin link, I am able to get into the Admin Control Panel with no problem and set anything I want in the control panel. I created a couple of Forum Categories and a couple of child forums under those categories. Everything in the control panel seems to work perfectly. Unfortunately, if I try to go to the forums, I keep getting the 500 error listed above.
The PHP version the server is running is PHP Version 5.2.4. I tried changing it to Version 4, but got the same message.
When I check the scripting error log on my web server, it says: "Error: /proc must be mounted
To mount /proc at boot you need an /etc/fstab line like:
/proc /proc proc defaults
In the meantime, run "mount /proc /proc -t proc" ".
Ok, what did I do wrong and how do I fix it?
Do you have a .htaccess file in the /forum/ folder??
(2010-01-01, 11:39 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have a .htaccess file in the /forum/ folder??

yes, do you need to see it to help me?
Can you try and rename it to htaccess.txt and see if the 500 error goes?? If it does, then yeah, can you upload it here?? If renaming it works, something in there will be causing the error.
(2010-01-01, 11:50 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Can you try and rename it to htaccess.txt and see if the 500 error goes?? If it does, then yeah, can you upload it here?? If renaming it works, something in there will be causing the error.

Wilco. Will update in a few minutes. Thank you for the help BTW.
(2010-01-01, 11:52 PM)johnlm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-01-01, 11:50 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Can you try and rename it to htaccess.txt and see if the 500 error goes?? If it does, then yeah, can you upload it here?? If renaming it works, something in there will be causing the error.

Wilco. Will update in a few minutes. Thank you for the help BTW.

I get the same result regardless of the .txt extension. Here is the text of the htaccess or htaccess.txt file.

Options -MultiViews +FollowSymlinks -Indexes

#
# If mod_security is enabled, attempt to disable it.
# - Note, this will work on the majority of hosts but on
# MediaTemple, it is known to cause random Internal Server
# errors. For MediaTemple, please remove the block below
#
<IfModule mod_security.c>
# Turn off mod_security filtering.
SecFilterEngine Off

# The below probably isn't needed, but better safe than sorry.
SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

#
# MyBB "search engine friendly" URL rewrites
# - Note, for these to work with MyBB please make sure you have
# the setting enabled in the Admin CP and you have this file
# named .htaccess
#
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]+)\.html$ forumdisplay.php?fid=$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]+)-page-([0-9]+)\.html$ forumdisplay.php?fid=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-page-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-lastpost\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&action=lastpost [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-nextnewest\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&action=nextnewest [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-nextoldest\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&action=nextoldest [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-newpost\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&action=newpost [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-post-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&pid=$2 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?pid=$1 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^announcement-([0-9]+)\.html$ announcements.php?aid=$1 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^user-([0-9]+)\.html$ member.php?action=profile&uid=$1 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?calendar=$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)-year-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?action=yearview&calendar=$1&year=$2 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)-year-([0-9]+)-month-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?calendar=$1&year=$2&month=$3 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)-year-([0-9]+)-month-([0-9]+)-day-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?action=dayview&calendar=$1&year=$2&month=$3&day=$4 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)-week-(n?[0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?action=weekview&calendar=$1&week=$2 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^event-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?action=event&eid=$1 [L,QSA]

<IfModule mod_env.c>
SetEnv SEO_SUPPORT 1
</IfModule>
</IfModule>

#
# If Apache is compiled with built in mod_deflade/GZIP support
# then GZIP Javascript, CSS, HTML and XML so they're sent to
# the client faster.
#
<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-javascript text/css text/html text/xml
</IfModule>
Also, my servers mysQL version is Version: 5.0.45. The database was created and I'm able to browse the myriad of fields that were created during installation and everything seems to be correct in it. I can even see the forums I set up form the Admin CP.
If you have access to your server error log (usually from your control panel or web host) it might shed some light on what the problem is. Error 500 is a vague error that covers a wide variety of things.
(2010-01-02, 08:01 AM)Dennis Tsang Wrote: [ -> ]If you have access to your server error log (usually from your control panel or web host) it might shed some light on what the problem is. Error 500 is a vague error that covers a wide variety of things.

UPDATE HERE: I opened a trouble ticket with my provider and they said the permissions on the /forum folder were incorrect. He fixed the problem and now the forum is running except I can't seem to login. In admin I see the accounts I am creating when registering, but the forum doesn't log me in. I can't even get it to log in the admin account I have set up. Like I said, I see it in the admin CP, but the forum doesn't log me in.
I still get the 500 error when I visit your site. Anyway, this issue is probably cookies, in ./inc/settings.php set your cookie domain to .bridgeofhopehouse.com and your cookie path to /forum/ and then make these changes in the ACP after, you should be able to login after doing these changes in settings.php
(2010-01-02, 07:34 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]I still get the 500 error when I visit your site. Anyway, this issue is probably cookies, in ./inc/settings.php set your cookie domain to .bridgeofhopehouse.com and your cookie path to /forum/ and then make these changes in the ACP after, you should be able to login after doing these changes in settings.php

You have all been great. I really love the freeware community. Why can't we get the rest of the world to work together like everyone on here does. Thanks again for all your help. My forum is up and running great. THANKS A TON!!!Smile