MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: png File support added to stock MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I think that png should be added to the default attachment types for MyBB, since it is the Portable Network Graphics format of image Wink

Add:
File XT: .png
Mime Type: image/png
Size Limit: 500 KB
PNG's are already default...
In what version? A 1.4.9 board I'm on doesn't have it, and I had to add it to my 1.4.9 board (which I've kept upgraded) as well.
My localhost is still 1.4.9 and I see it there. I don't know how to add these kinds of extensions so it's impossible I added it.
[attachment=16811]
Very strange. I had wondered at it not being in. Hmm. Doubly strange. Ok, I guess ignore my suggestion to include it, and instead look into the code to insert it into the db for any reason it wouldn't be installed. And also maybe the size limit should be raised. Most of my png files are around 1MB (full 16x9 high res desktop backgrounds mostly)

So I would suggest maybe a 2 or 2.5MB limit?
I have it aswell. Perhaps the upgrade script does not add new attachment types.
Or perhaps one of my other admins deleted it for some reason too. I don't know. But either way, 500k is much too small imo. Especially with today's high quality and high resolution images.
You can change it yourself, no? Some boards have no need for huge images. Some others do, I think 500K is a nice medium. If you take a screenshot of a 1680x 1050 screen with not much of graphics and such, it would be under 500 kb.
(2010-01-02, 02:16 AM)FullMetalBabe Wrote: [ -> ]You can change it yourself, no? Some boards have no need for huge images. Some others do, I think 500K is a nice medium. If you take a screenshot of a 1680x 1050 screen with not much of graphics and such, it would be under 500 kb.

Just my desktop background is 1.3MB in png format on its own Big Grin
500k is fine for a jpg, but not for a png, which produces a cleaner/sharper image most of the time, but isn't compressed the way jpgs are.
I don't think it's necessary to have it too low, but at the same time, you don't want people uploading 5MB pictures at a time, do you? I don't think the average shared hosting account would handle that very well. Besides, everything's user-configurable anyways. I think it's better to have the owner specify their own limits.
Pages: 1 2