MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: .png as standard for icons and buttons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello there,

i'm working on my template right now and noticed, that it is impossible to get an nice looking alpha channel on dark templates with a gif.

I prefer to use .pngs because you can use them on any background if you have an alpha channel. But it is a lot of work to change every gif into png in the template files.

Also pngs are no problem for any actual browser anymore. So i don't think, that this could become a problem.

Anyways; it would be nice if you use png instead of gif as the standard button- / icon format Smile.

p.s. sorry for my bad english Wink
As far as I know, this will be coming in MyBB 2.0, however that could be up to a few years away.
MyBB 2.0's (awesome) new theme will feature PNG icons throughout. There will be no change until then.
(2010-01-03, 04:39 AM)Justin S. Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB 2.0's (awesome) new theme will feature PNG icons throughout. There will be no change until then.

Is there anyway to modify the code so that MyBB uses .png's?
(2010-01-03, 06:23 AM)Firestar Wrote: [ -> ]Is there anyway to modify the code so that MyBB uses .png's?

Yes, just edit the templates and the CSS, and of course upload new images.

I doubt anyone will actually change every image, though. Seems kind of pointless at this point. For myself, I just rename .gifs to .png. Works a dandy.
And js files, at least for the on/off icons.
(2010-01-03, 04:50 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-01-03, 06:23 AM)Firestar Wrote: [ -> ]Is there anyway to modify the code so that MyBB uses .png's?

Yes, just edit the templates and the CSS, and of course upload new images.

What about the ones that are hardcoded as .gif in the PHP files? It would be nice to have a theme field that specifies the default image extension. It could default to .gif, then if the theme maker wants to change it it would also affect the hardcoded images as well, meaning no core modification and therefore easier updating (as well as avoiding the rename png to gif kludge).
For the few that are hard-coded in, just do the renaming trick for now. It works perfectly fine. It doesn't matter if we suggest a fix now anyways. 1.6 is feature locked, and 2.0 will use PNGs by default.
(2010-01-03, 06:23 AM)Firestar Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-01-03, 04:39 AM)Justin S. Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB 2.0's (awesome) new theme will feature PNG icons throughout. There will be no change until then.

There are some tutorials.
(2010-01-03, 09:09 PM)Skiilz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-01-03, 06:23 AM)Firestar Wrote: [ -> ]

There are some tutorials.

Do you know where I could find some? I did a search but didn't come up with anything.