MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: VPS.Net Review (I use them for my forums)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I usually recommend them to a few MyBB users so thought I would write a review.

Well, I have been using them for all of my websites, and they have been perfect for my forums. VPS.net is a cloud VPS hosting service, in other words it’s a VPS with failover support and more redundancy than a normal VPS.

The way vps.net works is in ‘nodes’ each node has 256mb of ram 400mhz of processor 10gb of storage and 250gb of bandwidth. Each node costs $20 and gets cheaper the more you buy. You can add more nodes to your account at any time which makes it so easy to scale your server up when you need more resources, this can save a lot of time and money.

One of my favourite features of vps.net are the templates, they have optimized images ready to be deployed. These images are perfect when speed is a must have for your websites. I personally use the nginx + mysql + php + debian image, all of my websites are running perfectly on this setup and at high speed.

As you may have noticed by the main website, the design is nice. The control panel is also very simple. It’s very easy to get around. You can manage the basics of your server through the vps.net control panel, such as restart/stop/start and rebuild.

The support at vps.net is very good also. It’s not like other hosting companies that pretend to have 24/7 support, vps.net actually do. I have submitted a support ticket at 4am before and had a response within 15 minutes.

Another really good feature is daily/scheduled nodes. Scheduled nodes probably wouldn’t be very useful for forums as you’re not usually sure when you’re going to hit a lot of traffic but if your server becomes overloaded and will only be overloaded for a couple of days, you can purchase daily nodes, these cost $1 a day and add resources to keep your forum/website running.

If you have anymore questions, go ahead and post them Smile.
I used them for a week and hated them. Their provisioning system is extremely slow (about 45 minutes of downtime when you add nodes) and the daily nodes result in over an hour and a half of downtimes (45 minutes to add, 45 minutes to remove). The worst part is when I checked their forums, they were aware of the long downtime and had a theory on the cause but had not implemented a fix.
(2010-01-03, 10:55 PM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]I used them for a week and hated them. Their provisioning system is extremely slow (about 45 minutes of downtime when you add nodes) and the daily nodes result in over an hour and a half of downtimes (45 minutes to add, 45 minutes to remove). The worst part is when I checked their forums, they were aware of the long downtime and had a theory on the cause but had not implemented a fix.

I was told the bigger the server the longer it took to upgrade/downgrade, I only have 2 nodes so this hasn't really happened to me. But I have seen people on the forums complaining about this.

They did have a few problems with the UK cloud last month, but that has all be sorted. It wasn't the best month but the 2 I had been with them before had 0% downtime.
I had 45 minutes of downtime when upgrading from 1 node to 2. Aside from the self inflicted downtime of upgrading my nodes, I had 0 downtime (but I did get a lot of file system and memory errors). At one point I needed 5 nodes to run MyBB (over a GB of memory) because MyBB was hitting PHP's memory limit (which I never even set). Sad
(2010-01-03, 11:06 PM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]I had 45 minutes of downtime when upgrading from 1 node to 2. Aside from the self inflicted downtime of upgrading my nodes, I had 0 downtime (but I did get a lot of file system and memory errors). At one point I needed 5 nodes to run MyBB (over a GB of memory) because MyBB was hitting PHP's memory limit (which I never even set). Sad

That's odd. The most downtime I've had because of an upgrade/downgrade is probably around 15 minutes, they need to do something for that though. Which I have been told they are on the vps.net forums.

I'm running 6 WordPress blogs and 2 forums on my 2 node server, and still not anywhere near my limits, maybe it was a bug in the image you were using. Did support say anything about it?
They just rebuilt my "server" each time, in the end it was cheaper to get a dedicated server than 5 nodes from them which sucks because a 2 node setup would have been perfect for me. Sad
slicehost.com > VPS.NET
Wow, why are VPSs more expensive than dedicated servers these days?
(2010-01-04, 12:34 AM)duyen Wrote: [ -> ]slicehost.com > VPS.NET

If you're going to post that, give reasons?
I have account with http://onexenvps.com $5 usd for 128MB it cost me around $0.16/daily
compare to vps.net that cost $1/daily I select first option.
Pages: 1 2 3