MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Chmod the following files to 666
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am not very technical, but am trying to install MyBB on my website. One part of the installation guide states the following:

Chmod the following files to 666 (ie, make sure that PHP can write to them).
./inc/settings.php
./inc/config.php

I understand that I need an FTP Client to do this. I am running a dual-boot G4 mac (OS9.2 + OSX10.3). Can anyone advise me of any software that will do the trick?

Cheers - Milo
Is your server the G4? If so you just have to make sure the files are writable. You can check by running the install script and it will tell you if they are or not.

If you're ftping you can usually (on a*nix server) right click the files, choose chmod and chmod them 666 (writable by all groups).

If you're logged in via a shell you can use the "chmod" command at the prompt..
Chris, I am FTPing from my G4 to a unix server. My Mac mouse does not have a right button and I do not have shell access. How do I chmod 666 the files? Bearing in mind I'm a complete novice!

Cheers, Milo
If you're FTP'ing then you just need to find your FTP client's capacity to chmod. Try searching the help files for chmod... then you have to find the two files that need to be chmodded and do so. The input may require a number, in which case set 666, or it may do it on a read/write/execute basis, in which case you must enable read/write for all users - this may have to be expressed as rw-rw-rw- as well
So how might one change the Chmod? Sorry, I have no experience in this area (yet).