MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: localhost registration email issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, I host MyBB on my localhost (XAMPP) and everything is fine except the feature of "register": I test the "register" button and it bring up the registration (sign up) pages and I follow the instructions with my real email address etc. All is fine and it states that I'll receive an email with a link for activation to complete my membership (something like that). But I never receive any email from the forum admin. But then everything is fine that I can use the username I registered to login and post thread/ message ....

My question: Will this still be the case when I move it to a real web server? Or the reason for the issue is that the localhost doesn't have an email server, so it can not send the emails (activation and confirmation) out? I hope its the latter case. Please clarify this issue. Thanks in advance.
It depends, might work, might not. Emails usually send on a normal webhost, occasionally they won't, not terribly often though. Not sure how you can post straight away when it doesn't send, an email will be sent to activate your account and you'll be in the activation group until then, and they can't post, unless you've changed it...
(2010-01-06, 08:24 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure how you can post straight away when it doesn't send, an email will be sent to activate your account and you'll be in the activation group until then, and they can't post, unless you've changed it...

I am not sure either. But, I seems to remember after registration since I didn't receive the activation email, I went to ACP and activate the user... I think that's why?

OK, so by localhost, the activation and confirmation emails can't be sent and that is normal because there is no mail server. Normally the emails will be sent out if hosted by a real web server.

Thanks.
Oh, well if you activated it manually then they'd be able to post... and normally, yes, the host will send out the emails. If it doesn't, there are ways around it.
(2010-01-06, 09:41 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]... and normally, yes, the host will send out the emails. If it doesn't, there are ways around it.

Thanks, Matt. Will see what happens when moving to real webhost and if it doesn't send out emails, I'll be back here again for your help. Now I am planning to move my MyBB to real webhost and knowing there are two ways to do: install a fresh BB at my real website hosted by my webhost or move my localhost BB to my website. Which way will be easier, more convenient, more efficient, and more reliable to do it? My current localhost MyBB is 1.4.10 and I have also downloaded 1.4.11 version to my computer. Should I move 1.4.10 or install 1.4.11 to my website? If moving 1.4.10, how difficult would be to upgrade to 1.4.11?
1.4.10 > 1.4.11 only involved changing files, you can apply the changed files package from the blog wherever, on your localhost or live site... if you want to keep any data you've added you'd want to transfer what you've got rather than installing again, but if you don't want to keep anything, install 1.4.11 fresh.
You could always setup SMTP, rather than PHP, as the mailhandler. Just make sure that you're setup to allow traffic through those ports...
(2010-01-07, 08:18 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]You could always setup SMTP, rather than PHP, as the mailhandler. Just make sure that you're setup to allow traffic through those ports...

Thanks, Tom. I got it.
(2010-01-07, 12:01 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]1.4.10 > 1.4.11 only involved changing files, you can apply the changed files package from the blog wherever, on your localhost or live site... if you want to keep any data you've added you'd want to transfer what you've got rather than installing again, but if you don't want to keep anything, install 1.4.11 fresh.

Ok, I have upgraded to 1.4.11 on my localhost Smile Now I also decide I am to move (transfer) my localhost BB to my website. Before I move, I want to make sure I have done everything I need to (so it'll be a seamless transition). I have thought out following steps and tasks:

Pre-transfer:
Step1. backup a complete copy of localhost BB folder and localhost BB database (so I can still run my localhost BB after transfer)
Step2. login ACP to reset bburl, bbname, homeurl, homename, cookie domain, cookie path, admin email, contact email (in General configuration)
Step3. in ACP-General configuration-Mail settings, change mail server info
Step4. in ACP, delete all test users and change admin, moderators.
(make sure no other tasks need to be taken before logout ACP because can't login again from that point)

Transfer:
Step5. upload the forum folder to hosting server
Step6. upload the forum database to hosting server

Post-transfer:
Step7. login ACP for final configuration and add/edit settings
Step8. run BB from my website

Question1: are there other additional steps/tasks I also must take? detailed info
Question2: How do I backup my localhost BB database in step1?
Question3: How do I upload my forum database to hosting server in step6?

Please advise all detailed info/help to my questions. Thanks
In Step2, I would recommend doing that when you upload it online. Alter the ./inc/settings.php file, then you should be able to login to the ACP and alter the settings there.

For Q.2, if you're using XAMPP, then you can go to localhost/phpmyadmin, and export all the tables (including data) to a .sql file.

For Q.3, create a database and import the file you've just created above. Remember, you'll need to alter ./inc/config.php too with the new database, username and password...
Tomm, many thanks for the help.

(2010-01-08, 08:46 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]In Step2, I would recommend doing that when you upload it online. Alter the ./inc/settings.php file, then you should be able to login to the ACP and alter the settings there.

Could you explain why? If I re-configure in ACP before upload and not alter settings.php (should be changed according to re-configuration from ACP?), would it be the same? and I don't need to re-configure after uploading?

Quote:For Q.2, if you're using XAMPP, then you can go to localhost/phpmyadmin, and export all the tables (including data) to a .sql file.

Thanks the tip. I'll dig into that.

Quote:For Q.3, create a database and import the file you've just created above. Remember, you'll need to alter ./inc/config.php too with the new database, username and password...

Again, if I re-configure in ACP before upload, do I still have to alter config.php file? (really like to not-mess up those files)
Pages: 1 2