MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Linux Distros
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
To avoid the other windows thread to become a discussion about linux I made this thread, and as a bonus I'm not a bot.

Well, what's your favorite distro of linux? Right now I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) that duel boots with XP, though I seldom use XP.

Here's my take on linux distros I know about

Note: It's hard to see but all the bold text is links

Ubuntu + Spin-offs
Ubuntu - Nice OS, you may occasionally need to do some stuff via command line, but still pretty damn newb friendly. Based off Debian & uses GNOME.
Kubuntu - Spin-off of ubuntu built on KDE, this is much more similar to windows, has lots of nice eye candy, but also requires more system resources.
Xubuntu - Spin-off of ubuntu built on XFCE, this uses less resources than ubuntu, I haven't actually gotten to check it out yet but I've heard good things about it.
Linux Mint - Based off Ubuntu (more than just a spin-off), EXTREMELY newb friendly, comes with tons of drivers and codecs builtin. Menu is slightly windows-user friendly.

___

Well, what's your favorite linux distros? I might consider adding something about Gentoo, Fedora, Damn Small Linux and Arch Linux later.
When I turn linux I'm going with Mint first, and then get Ubuntu. SO SICK OF WINDOWS.
Good choice. Smile

Mint & Kubuntu are great operating systems to ease into Linux. (tip: Get WINE)
If I ever need to run something from windows, that will be games. Nothing else. And likely only 1 game every 6 months, if any. I'm trading Windows Live Messenger for Pidgin, Windows Media Player for VLC media player and even Photoshop for GIMP.
I don't even know why I use WLM or WMP, there's way better software out there for windows, I guess I'm just too lazy to search for it. No, not search for it, install it. I know of better alternatives, just too busy and stuff. That's why IE is, unfortunately, the most used browser. As for browsers I'm already using Chrome, which came out for Linux a few weeks ago.
Err you do realise that you posted pretty much the same distro 4 times. On each only the UI Is different. Guts are mostly the same on each :/

I like Ubuntu for simple computer task. Ubuntu Studios for my usual day stuff. Mandriva is my favourite though. (Old mandrake fan here Toungue)
Chrome has been on linux for a year, just not stable lol.
I've used
  • Mandriva (Free 2006-2010.0, One 2008.1-2010.0, PowerPack 2009.0-2010.0, and Corporate/Enterprise 4/5 thus far) (which is my distro of choice due to a combination of user friendliness AND power)
  • Red Hat Linux 9, RHEL 4 and 5
  • Fedora Core 7, 9, 11, 12
  • Ubuntu 6
  • Slackware (don't even ask for a list of versions, I don't remember them all)
  • Debian (Same as Slackware)
  • Puppy Linux
  • Damn Small Linux
  • Gentoo
  • FreeBSD/NetBSD
  • SuSE
  • Yellow Dog
  • LinuxROM (aka Pizza Box Linux lol)
  • Lindows
  • Linspire
  • KNOPPIX
  • CentOS

As well as PS2 Linux, XBOX Linux, and Dreamcast Linux

Now keep in mind, most of these I only DABBLED to see if I liked them.
For those who aren't familiar with PizzaBox Linux, enjoy these photos of the machine which inspired this FlashROM based distro

[Image: box_first.jpg]

[Image: x_label_box_side.gif]

[Image: x_label_box_open2.gif]

[Image: x_pic00005.gif]
@Ral, could you run a home server in that? (Like would it overheat. Never goes off?)
I have used mainly Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Linux Mint, Dragonfly, Gentoo, Archlinux and Dreamlinux
(2010-01-10, 03:05 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]@Ral, could you run a home server in that? (Like would it overheat. Never goes off?)

Its used as a firewall and/or router I believe. Or in the case of the one pictured a file server. Nothing heavy duty or resource intensive like a scripting webserver with database support. Especially not with only a 100MHz CPU.

PizzaBox Fileserver Linux
(2010-01-10, 04:54 AM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-01-10, 03:05 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]@Ral, could you run a home server in that? (Like would it overheat. Never goes off?)

Its used as a firewall and/or router I believe. Or in the case of the one pictured a file server. Nothing heavy duty or resource intensive like a scripting webserver with database support. Especially not with only a 100MHz CPU.

PizzaBox Fileserver Linux

Ah okay darn Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3