MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I need a plugin to prevent bot signup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I need a plugin to prevent bot signup. Once I converted to mybb from phpbb3 we've been having mass spam signups.

How can i prevent this?
Enable captcha?
captcha isnt enough since bots can read the captchas,...maybe this plugin helps http://www.mybbcentral.com/thread-1496.html
If a human is registering the accounts there's nothing you'll ever be able to do to fully stop it, short of setting new accounts to require admin activation.
This is an older thread, but there have been some developments in the meantime that I though I should write about, in case anyone else ends up on this thread after a search.

Indeed, the standard CAPTCHA and e-mail verification weren't successful against bots. There are two solutions, in increasing level of risk that legit users won't be able to signup:

1. A "Signup Question" plugin like http://mods.mybb.com/view/signup-questions or Registration Security Question.

2. The Stop Forum Spam plugin.

The Signup Question plugin has been working well for me for the past 3 days. It blocked all spammers, and I see in ACP about 1,200 failed attempts to answer the question correctly for 8 correctly answered ones.

You could also try reCAPTCHA.
(2011-08-07, 11:46 PM)dandv Wrote: [ -> ]Indeed, CAPTCHA and e-mail verification weren't successful against bots. There are two solution, in increasing level of risk that legit users won't be able to signup:

1. A "Signup Question" plugin like http://mods.mybb.com/view/signup-questions or Registration Security Question.

2. The Stop Forum Spam plugin.

The Signup Question plugin has been working well for me for the past 3 days. It blocked all spammers, and I see in ACP about 1,200 failed attempts to answer the question correctly for 8 correctly answered ones.

01-10-2010
(2011-08-07, 11:47 PM)Malcolm. Wrote: [ -> ]01-10-2010

Kindly stop hinting at necroposting by contributing useless information to an old thread to which I provided updated information.
(2011-08-07, 11:55 PM)dandv Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-08-07, 11:47 PM)Malcolm. Wrote: [ -> ]01-10-2010

Kindly stop hinting at necroposting by contributing useless information to an old thread to which I provided updated information.

Kindly stop necroposting.

I doubt the OP is still waiting for a reply.

(2011-08-08, 12:36 AM)Malcolm. Wrote: [ -> ]Kindly stop necroposting

Kindly explain why.

(2011-08-08, 12:36 AM)Malcolm. Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt the OP is still waiting for a reply.

This is not about the OP. As I mentioned in my post, people may end up on this thread while searching the community (how do you think I ended up on this thread?)

After I ended up on this thread, I clicked on the plugin linked to by Andii S. Turned out it was released in 2008, and not compatible with MyBB 1.6, but I did waste a few minutes figuring that out. Then the thread was left open-ended.

Do you want people to waste their time when they land on this thread?

I don't. That's why I posted useful, updated information.

There's no use in blindly following the letter of the rule of necroposting. Its spirit is to prevent bumping threads just to get attention. I didn't do that.
I dont mean to get anything started or take sides or anything like that. I have no idea who anyone in this thread is. But just as a note of interest:

I just got here from doing a Google search myself. I am having problems with a lot of scam spam sign ups in my forum and am looking for ideas to stop it or at least to slow it down. I have been searching and reading this afternoon and found this as a result of it.

I am sure that others will arrive on pages within this forum from doing searches so the info within any thread is for the benefit of a much larger audience than just the OP.