MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Site optimization
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(Dunno if it's for this forum)

Hi everyone,
Google webmaster tools pointed me to check with FireBug my site performace.
I got some negative responce for 80 images (gif,jpg,png) most of which were emot icons/smilies. From they`re documentations and the help center i figured that to increase site performance i have to handle this images - either to redirect them from subdomains like images.site.com,images2.site.com (so the browsers can be fooled that they download media from different servers) or to use 1 file - CSS with all the icons in it and to specify which part of that file should appear in the proper place.
Care anyone to give an opinion for that?
Thanks in advance
I think both of these changes would require some significant modifications to your template/code.

The first one might be easier though, if you have a plugin that hooks on output_page that replaces any instance of http://www.example.com/yourforum/images with http://images.example.com/yourforum/images and any relative URLs to the same place. And you'd have to set up images.example.com with the same images as your example.com.
Thanks very much for the information.
i'll give it a thought
(2010-01-11, 04:09 PM)fordz Wrote: [ -> ]I got some negative responce for 80 images (gif,jpg,png) most of which were emot icons/smilies.

which are downloaded once and then cached forever so they don't really matter

just make sure your webserver sends proper cache headers for static stuff so the browsers will be allowed to cache them for a long time

distributing files over multiple webservers makes things even more expensive (browser has to open a new connection instead of reusing the existing one to your webserver)

my google webmaster tools complain about avatars on my forum - avatars which the users did not upload but just linked from another location. loading these is expensive, especially if it's a dynamic avatar one that has to be reloaded on every single page view to show a different avatar every single time...

however that is a cost you'll just have to live with in web forums and the like
So to make my live easier just to leave them the way they are?
There is no problem with the forums - users with Firefox,IE,Chrome load everything instance even these with internet from their mobile operators.
So i think i'll leave it that way

BTW - how to set this images to have more live time - not a day, but month?
Yes something like this, but don't do the 1 min for PHP stuff. If the forum is actually cached it will lead to forums showing up as unread when you read them already. If you want to have PHP output cached you should set the cache header in PHP itself, on pages that don't change their content that frequently.