MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Huge Performance Increase
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(2010-12-09, 06:59 PM)Chris Boulton Wrote: [ -> ]I was referring to it being legacy in MyBB, as in, at the time MyBB was initially written, InnoDB support was difficult to find on a lot of hosts and it was considered new/immature.
Oh I see.
(2010-12-09, 08:46 PM)dmmcintyre3 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-09, 03:45 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Actually a 100mb (100k+ posts) database should run on a 128mb VPS with InnoDB tables. Keep in mind 128mb of ram isn't a lot to begin with and is on the very low scale of VPS usage. You could do better with a shared hosts in comparison.
Then show me a shared host, $15/year, SSH access, dedicated IP, 500 GB transfer and 10 GB disk space that can handle 50 concurrent users (as in 50 users loading the page index page same time ) on a MyBB forum. (http://loadimpact.com/result/freevps.tk-...4b98247718)

Database size has nothing to do with concurrent database connections. Besides he's talking more than likely with little overhead from things like control panels. And, no great shared host is going to cost $15/year. I also don't see what ssh access, a dedicated ip, bandwidth, or space have to do with concurrent connections either. None of those are relevant except maybe a hard drives I/O.
(2010-12-09, 08:46 PM)dmmcintyre3 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-09, 03:45 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Actually a 100mb (100k+ posts) database should run on a 128mb VPS with InnoDB tables. Keep in mind 128mb of ram isn't a lot to begin with and is on the very low scale of VPS usage. You could do better with a shared hosts in comparison.
Then show me a shared host, $15/year, SSH access, dedicated IP, 500 GB transfer and 10 GB disk space that can handle 50 concurrent users (as in 50 users loading the page index page same time ) on a MyBB forum. (http://loadimpact.com/result/freevps.tk-...4b98247718)

You get what you pay for. Smile

Since MyBB 1.6, I didn't use Ryan's SphinxSearch anymore (from MyBB 1.4).
Still use MySQL for more 1.5 millions posts (110,000+ members) with 100-200 concurrent connection on busy day. Only use MySQLTuner for tuning. And pay $125+ each month for rent a Dedicated Server Wink

VPS is needed if posts getting 500,000+ with at least 1GB memory. Depend on what OS and Cpanel you're using. Shared hosting usually limit PHP Memory only 24-32MB. With VPS you can increase to 64 or 128MB by yourself Smile
Why not use Sphinx? The 1.4x plugin should work fine for 1.6x.
I will use sphinx, but later.. I've been used Pre-Parse in 1.4.
But Now, Performance still acceptable.
I've planned to upgrade hardware and re-install OS.
I got many bad script configuration on My Centos Wink
Run FreeBSD instead. Smile

(2010-12-20, 12:54 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Run FreeBSD instead. Smile

This. FreeBSD comes bare, with a lot less running then most Linux server options. The only i've found compared to speed would have to be Gentoo server or Arch server. Both of which i wouldn't trust on stability issues. (From past failures with them though.)

Also if you run Cpanel, you should ditch that for webmin or a lighter manager.
So the second server is hosting the posts table, while the other server is hosting the other tables?

Interesting...
Quote:Also if you run Cpanel, you should ditch that for webmin or a lighter manager.

Or run no panel at all if you're a single site server. Matter of fact it's a serious option to consider another http server besides Apache. Nginx would be my preference. I'm still running Apache but not for much longer. Next server I get will be Nginx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6