MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: HOSTGATOR 403 ERRORS *SOLVED*
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, if you have set up hosting with HOSTGATOR and are having the following issues:

Every link in your forum gives you a 403 server Error.
I could log into both the forum ad the ACP, but any link from there, same issue, 403 error - when you and I as well know said files exist and were configured correctly.

PLEASE DO NOT DELETE YOUR FORUM AS I DID IN AN ALL NIGHT FUTILE EFFORT TO GET THINGS WORKING!

Sadly, the issue is with HOSTGATOR and their permissions. Merely go to your C-Panel and copy one of the error logs out and start a chat session and ask them to whitelist it for you; case closed. Bunch of BS if you ask me... The wiki on mod_security issue while may be rather relevant for some installs, but in the case of HOSTGATOR hosting, it is an issue ONLY Tech-Support can resolve as they do not grant you the permission to make that edit; has to be at the IT level... (Though I might note, I have always renamed the [htacces.txt] to [.htaccess])

***ALSO VERY IMPORTANT AS WELL***

Matt is 100% correct, while my statements regarding this issue being one directly caused by permissions that can ONLY BE CHANGED BY THE TECH's at the host with "IT-LEVEL" permissions for your domain, the above mentioned change to ALL of your htaccess.txt files to .htaccess MUST BE MADE! Otherwise, you will still end up scratching your head!

Guys, maybe you might want to sticky this or something; perhaps clean it up, make it more accurate, but I am certain there have to be plenty that have been or are going to experience this issue with this host...

And Matt, thank you so much for your help; I am so sorry to have wasted your and everyone else's time here! I simply did not understand what was going on. I have had nearly 30 installs on different hosts of this wonderful MyBB distro in different versions, and this was a first for this issue, so please accept my apologies... Rolleyes

Kind regards,
FILM_ROX
Rename the .htaccess back htaccess.txt, some hosts give this error for some reason with a .htaccess file.
If not, check your host's error log (if you have access to it), a 500 error is an unhelpfully broad error message (not your fault obviously), but the error log should tell you what's actually triggering it.

Also, I don't know if this is one of the thing you've already tried, I know it says 403 here but it can cause a 500 occasionally too, see what it does http://community.mybboard.net/thread-42160.html
Hey Matt, many thanks; you got me pointed in the right direction. I pruned the thread of my junk; I mentioned perhaps making this issue a sticky so no one else hoses their data as I did in a futile coffee filled furry to solve the unsolvable... I only mention the sticky (I have no clue how popular HOSTGATOR is...) because in all reality, this could be on the forum already, but my searches turned up hundreds of posts; all unrelated... You can mark this resolved. Wink

Many thanks again for your help.