MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: freeforums.org to MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey everyone,

I started a forum on freeforums.org (www.gsdaficionado.freeforums.org) about 2 weeks ago, and I'm not super happy with it. How much can I complain when it's free though? Blush

I wanted to switch to vBulletin, but the costs are high, and a lot of people told me to give MyBB a try.

How difficult is it to switch? Is there anyway to transfer members and posts to the new board? We've been working so hard on content building! I also assume the URL will change, as it's currently a .freeforums.org. I will be buying the .com domain.

Anything else I should know? Thanks!
Well first you will need to find i host. The one is my sig is very nice Toungue. /advertising.

You need to buy a backup from them if you want to move. I believe the cost is 20-30 dollars. I inquired before, but was too much of a hassle.
After that it is doable, just through the merge system.
(2010-01-14, 12:45 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]Well first you will need to find i host. The one is my sig is very nice Toungue. /advertising.

You need to buy a backup from them if you want to move. I believe the cost is 20-30 dollars. I inquired before, but was too much of a hassle.
After that it is doable, just through the merge system.

BUY a backup? What the [BLEEP!] is that all about? You own your site's content and they force you to BUY it from them? I smell something fishy there.
After looking myself, you can get your database access via purchasing an Advanced Hosting account for $8.95/mo... just pay for one month then cancel after moving your forum. Scheming jerks not letting you access your own content is immoral.
Hm, they use phpBB. Maybe it is possible to get a dump/backup of your database through phpBB backend? Don't know if this is possible in phpBB... (it will be free of charge)
(2010-01-14, 12:08 PM)querschlaeger Wrote: [ -> ]Hm, they use phpBB. Maybe it is possible to get a dump/backup of your database through phpBB backend? Don't know if this is possible in phpBB... (it will be free of charge)

Even if it was, its not with them because they use a custom CP. I already wrote them a scathing email on their lack of ethics in holding a forum owner's data hostage for money.

The sad thing is that their "Advanced Hosting" puts you on Hostgator. Which is absolute crap if you've seen all the "problems" from them.
You can order a backup yourself if you don't want the hosting. I believe they encrypt them aswell. That or they just weirdly worded it when i asked how do i obtain a backup.
(2010-01-15, 08:37 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]You can order a backup yourself if you don't want the hosting. I believe they encrypt them aswell. That or they just weirdly worded it when i asked how do i obtain a backup.

The point I was making is that if they charge you $20 JUST for a backup, you're better off buying a month of advanced hosting and getting your own backup that way. Much cheaper.
Ah, i get it.
Thanks for the info. I purchased a domain name and a months worth of hosting through Hostgator. I see some of you don't like them, but I figure I can always cancel if I don't like it.

When I get home tonight I'm going to download the mybb software and the merge software. These have to be uploaded to the host?

The backup that is being mentioned, what is this exactly? Without it I can't merge over threads and posts? Or members?

Another question...I've done link exchanges with similar sites and submitted my forum to several search engines. I'm going to have to do all of this over again? Sad lol
So did you get the backup after all?
Pages: 1 2