MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Save MySQL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
If Oracle buys MySQL as part of Sun, database customers will pay the bill.

In April 2009, Oracle announced that it had agreed to acquire Sun. Since Sun had acquired MySQL the previous year, this would mean that Oracle, the market leader for closed source databases, would get to own MySQL, the most popular open source database.

If Oracle acquired MySQL on that basis, it would have as much control over MySQL as money can possibly buy over an open source project. In fact, for most open source projects (such as Linux or Apache) there isn't any comparable way for a competitor to buy even one tenth as much influence. But MySQL's success has always depended on the company behind it that develops, sells and promotes it. That company (initially MySQL AB, then Sun) has always owned the important intellectual property rights (IPRs), most notably the trademark, copyright and (so far only for defensive purposes) patents. It has used the IPRs to produce income and has reinvested a large part of those revenues in development, getting not only bigger but also better with time.

If those IPRs fall into the hands of MySQL's primary competitor, then MySQL immediately ceases to be an alternative to Oracle's own high-priced products. So far, customers had the choice to use MySQL in new projects instead of Oracle's products. Some large companies even migrated (switched) from Oracle to MySQL for existing software solutions. And every one could credibly threaten Oracle's salespeople with using MySQL unless a major discount was granted. If Oracle owns MySQL, it will only laugh when customers try this. Getting rid of this problem is easily worth one billion dollars a year to Oracle, if not more.

View the whole article here and sign the petition!!!
Save MySQL!!!

[Image: helpmysql_Banner_320x240_EN.png]
isn't mysql opensource?(heck you even mentioned it Toungue)

So even if Oracle does buy it someone can easily fork the current versions.
NetSage is correct, it would be corporate suicide to spend money on a product that users can replace if they don't play their cards right. MySQL does not need saving, it's very secure as is.
MYSql well be fine. It is under the GPL. Infact Redhat said they probably they will fork it if need be.

I am not to big of a fan of the GPL,but things like this is what I do like about it. It can save nice projects such as mysql.
Other then the OP, this is the only unedited post.

When MySQL is forked (Because someone like you will get that worried) I'm sure it will be put into good hands. Maybe even the current maintainers will fork it who knows.

Also oracle isn't stupid. They will not destroy the worlds most used database. Give them some credit.
haha yea i know i heard that redhat would fork in and save mysql IF oracle does make MySQL paid
(2010-01-15, 10:58 PM)Alex597 Wrote: [ -> ]haha yea i know i heard that redhat would fork in and save mysql IF oracle does make MySQL paid

Errr.... MySQL already is paid?
(2010-01-15, 11:00 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-01-15, 10:58 PM)Alex597 Wrote: [ -> ]haha yea i know i heard that redhat would fork in and save mysql IF oracle does make MySQL paid

Errr.... MySQL already is paid?

He means the community version (you know the free open source one without support).
Oracle will not do such. They already bought Sun unless some facts here are incorrect. Additionally, it would be a horrible tactic to make it paid. I believe their goal is to "dominate" the database market by obtaining other giants.
Pages: 1 2 3 4