MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Confused about Portal Feature
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
To say I am 'confused' is an understatement.

I have a board with forums running fine - but all I have read suggests that I need a 'portal' as the home page with a link from the portal to the forums - and further, some of the statistics from the board to be displayed on the portal.

A search of this support forum indicates there are configuration options built in to MyBB.

Can someone please point me to a thread, or series of threads, or tutorials or SOMETHING that would help me understand this???

And BTW - how is a "portal" different from a "CMS" ??

TIA

- Dan
If you go to http://www.yoursite.com/path/to/your/forum/portal.php, you can see MyBB's built-in portal. What the portal features is a listing of the latest announcements, some info about the user, and some of the latest threads, and a search box.
hey

the blank space actually is the place wher the announcments appears
to set them go to Admin CP > Board Settings > Change > portal Settings

the Forum ID to pull announcements from is the forum where u wanna get the announcements from , the easiest way to get the FID of a certain forum, is by hovering the move over it's name, u will see fid=3 , 3 is the id of the forum.

for the styles, and modification, you will have to go to Admin CP > Templates > Modify ./ Delete > Expand > Portal Templates > portal

there u may cutomize the tables, the elements etc.. the way u want . it's all about html.

now regarding the colors, text colors, etc... by default the portal page, will use the theme of ur board, unless that u make ur own CSS classes, and assing them from the template manager i mentioned above, the the place, table, box, etc... you want.

also be aware that the header and footer are the same for all the board, and so for the portal page.

I guess u have a little idea how classes works, and about html, so u will definitly understand that easy , and work it outSmile

regards
zaher1988 Wrote:hey

the blank space actually is the place wher the announcments appears
to set them go to Admin CP > Board Settings > Change > portal Settings

the Forum ID to pull announcements from is the forum where u wanna get the announcements from , the easiest way to get the FID of a certain forum, is by hovering the move over it's name, u will see fid=3 , 3 is the id of the forum.

for the styles, and modification, you will have to go to Admin CP > Templates > Modify ./ Delete > Expand > Portal Templates > portal

there u may cutomize the tables, the elements etc.. the way u want . it's all about html.

now regarding the colors, text colors, etc... by default the portal page, will use the theme of ur board, unless that u make ur own CSS classes, and assing them from the template manager i mentioned above, the the place, table, box, etc... you want.

also be aware that the header and footer are the same for all the board, and so for the portal page.

I guess u have a little idea how classes works, and about html, so u will definitly understand that easy , and work it outSmile

regards

OK - this message helped me make some progress. Thanks.

LOTS of questions still. For instance, if I want to control the "Announcements", it seems the easiest way is to create a hidden forum where only the Admin posts threads - and those threads are what is used by the portal to display as Announcements.

Make sense?

I do not understand how, or why, one would simply ID a 'normal' forum as the source for Announcements on the portal. Isn't it normal to want to have control over what is displayed there?

- Dan

Well yes u may create a foum,which is not accessible by member etc... and the select it as the portal announcment recourse

the posts will appear, even if it's hidden Smile

many regards
zaher1988 Wrote:Well yes u may create a foum,which is not accessible by member etc... and the select it as the portal announcment recourse

the posts will appear, even if it's hidden Smile

many regards

How can I control the ORDER in which the Announcements are displayed?
it's the posting date that deals with that!!

regards
zaher1988 Wrote:it's the posting date that deals with that!!

regards

Yes, but that is NOT the order in which I want the Announcements to display. There *must* be some way to re-order the announcements. Any ideas?

TIA

- Dan
DHC Wrote:Yes, but that is NOT the order in which I want the Announcements to display. There *must* be some way to re-order the announcements. Any ideas?

No unfortunatley there isn't one yet, and no mod either. I repost stuff if I wnat to have it appear higher on the page.
Pages: 1 2