MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: .rar files?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some of the Themes downloads don't download a zip folder. Instead, all I see is a file with a .rar extension. Am I missing something?
RAR is a different type of archive format, like ZIP.
7-Zip can be used to open RAR archives (and many other types too).
Soon we'll be making ZIPs compulsory as they're more universal than RARs. It's a pain to get people to have to use some 3rd party program to extract it, not everybody can download it.
Well, everybody can download it but not open it. ZIP is more OS independent as Windows XP, Vista and 7 can open it just like Mac OS X.
7zip runs on all major platforms and can extract from RAR. There's no built-in support in most OSes though (perhaps with exception to some newer Linux distros - though I'm not terribly sure exactly what they support, XZ/LZMA seems to be getting popularity).
A rar file is like a zip,but it is propriety and I do not know of any os that can open it without a extra program.

However download 7zip and using 7zip can fix the problem easy.
(2010-01-17, 01:42 PM)sypie Wrote: [ -> ]Well, everybody can download it but not open it.

By 'not everybody can download it' I meant not everybody can download WinRAR or 7Zip, not the plugin/theme itself, bad wording on my part there. When I was at college I couldn't open RARs or download any other extractor, had to wait till I got home or use an online file conversion system. It's an unnecessary obstacle for some people.
Glad I asked. Smile
I agree with the "keep it simple" and "keep it standard" mindsets. Wink