MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I am still using 1.4.4. Should I update to 1.411?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am curious to know if I should update to 1.411? Is it necessary?

Thanks

BTW, the link to my forum is here: http://www.asianadventures.org/forum/

***** I would appreciate it if someone can delete this thread, I tried but couldn't. Thanks******
You should for security reasons, yes.
There are some very high risk vulnerabilities in 1.4.4, and linking to your non-updated forum here is a huge concern on it's own. I would remove the link to your forum and upgrade it right away.
You shouldn't, you MUST upgrade RIGHT NOW. You should at least be running 1.4.7, which fixes one HIGH risk security bug. I wonder how you didn't got hacked. There were SOOO many boards being hacked because of this vulnerability, and SOOO many threads asking for help. Consider yourself a very lucky man.

Oh and in 1.4.5 there are over 100 fixed bugs (plus many other bugs and security fixes in later releases). I remember waiting so long for 1.4.5, although it was worth it. It fixed so many bugs. So please update, you will have a more functional and safe board. Do it. Now!
It isn't necessary, but it is recommended, you are putting your site at risk if you don't upgrade.
Of course it's necessary, or else he will end up hacked. And from 1.4.4 to 1.4.11 there has been so much changes. Including very high security fixes, +100 bug fixes and much much more!
So what is the quickest way to do this? to upgrade??
[wiki]Upgrading#Preparing_for_an_upgrade[/wiki]
(2010-01-18, 11:31 PM)Tierney Wrote: [ -> ]It isn't necessary

Yes, it is. It's probably the most necessary thing they need to do today if they want to see their forum stay safe.

I'm never sure what sort of answer people expect to hear with this sort of question. You are always recommended to use the latest release, no matter how small an update it may seem, these updates are released for a reason. 1.4.4 is well over a year old. You have the vulnerability found in 1.4.6 which took down hundreds of forums (most of which took ages to upgrade......). You have other high risk vulnerabilities. You have hundreds of bugs which have been fixed. You'll end up having problems that lead to support threads about issues that have been fixed months ago. It's a bit like asking if you should go to hospital after being shot; there's no two ways about it, it needs to be done. I apologise for being blunt but if you're 7 versions and over a year behind the rest of us, it should be clear you need to upgrade at the next possible second you have. Backup, upgrade, keep your forum safe. faviouz is right, you have been unbelievably lucky here.
necessary isn't the word I meant to use. Mandatory is a better word. He doesn't have to, but it is very strongly recomended that he does. If he wants to he could die in the street after he has been shot, it is not mandatory that he goes to the hospital unless he wants to live.
Pages: 1 2 3