MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Group Permission System
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm after some information about how the group permissions interact with one another. If someone can point me in the direction of a manual or other resource regarding this, then please feel free to ignore the rest of this post.

I would like to know the differences between the Primary and Secondary usergroups and how these affect the permissions a user has (including access to the Admin Panel).

The reason I'm asking is we have a MyBB 1.02 installation on our gaming clan site. Various members get differing accesses as they move up the rank or team structure, but I've been having trouble getting these to work properly... permissions are set up as they *should*, but whole categories aren't showing up and forums where I should be able to post aren't allowing it.

This was from a fresh installation and coversion from PHPBB using the coverter in this forum. I can't see this as being a problem as with that, everyone is set to the same basic usergroup.

I've updated caches and used test users, but it's kinda hit-and-miss as to whether it works correctly. So if I could get some idea of how the permissions interact, I should be able to sort it myself.

Anyhow, thanks in advance.
Heloo there

this is a tutorial that sheds light on many points regarding groups editing.

regarding the Primary and sec usergroup, well it takes the permissions of the primary group Smile

Regards
Thanks Zaher, I had read your tutorial and I'm fine with adding and managing groups, it's just getting their permissions to work as they should (or rather, how I'd like them to).

What is it that a secondary group allows? Will this be combined with the permissions of a primary group or will the primary simply override them?
hey

well i guess! umm u may switch between both groups if u have alook in ur user CP , u may find Group Memberships so u may turn over from a group to anotherSmile

regards
There are three types of groups associated with one user:
Primary Usergroup
Secondary Usergroup
Display Usergroup

The Primary and Secondary usergroups control the permissions that the user has on the forum. As far as I know, a "yes" permission will always override another "no" or default permission. So if the user is in a group which has a "No" permission to read a certain forum, and he is also in a group with a "Yes" permission to read the same forum, the "Yes" will be taken and therefore the user will have permission to read the forum.

The Display usergroup does nothing except give the user his username colour, stars, group image, etc.