MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Thread preview on hover
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Okay, I know you people don't like the "like vB" posts, but one little feature I liked about vB forums is that if you hover your mouse over the thread's title cell it would come up with a short preview of the thread (using <td title="preview using the first x characters of the OP" ...>) which is useful for when some n00b uses a completely meaningless title. I would like to see this as core and not as a plugin or something simply because it's something that I think affects most forums and definitely helps keep people from loading an entire new page just to find out in the first sentence that the thread has nothing to do with what they thought.
I have thought of this before and totally agree with the idea. I just submitted it to the ideas section -> http://ideas.mybboard.net/idea/thread-preview-on-hover.
This feature was removed from the 1.6 feature list: [Issue #34].

You might see it in 2.0 though...
(2010-01-21, 08:46 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]This feature was removed from the 1.6 feature list: [Issue #34].

I really hope to see it as soon as possible.
(2010-01-21, 08:46 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]This feature was removed from the 1.6 feature list: [Issue #34].

Having read that I think Ryan's way is just overkill. It's not meant to allow the user to read the entire thread, or even the entire first post, if they wanted to do that they would just go to the thread. Spicing up the feature can be done in a plugin, but the feature itself should, IMHO, use the "title" attribute. Most posts are unformatted plain text anyway, so having the fancy AJAX (or even plain JS) loader meets the same problem as including the WYSIWYG editor people keep asking about: it's not needed on average, and if a forum does need it they can use a plugin.

Also, if done via title, I would suggest making it the title of the table cell and not the thread link, since that's the way most users are used to.
Quote:Having read that I think Ryan's way is just overkill. It's not meant to allow the user to read the entire thread, or even the entire first post, if they wanted to do that they would just go to the thread. Spicing up the feature can be done in a plugin, but the feature itself should, IMHO, use the "title" attribute.

I would much prefer the title attribute method. It doesn't need to be really flashy. That's why it's a preview.

(2010-01-21, 04:40 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]Also, if done via title, I would suggest making it the title of the table cell and not the thread link, since that's the way most users are used to.

I can't stand that. You can't move your mouse around in the threads list without having a preview come up. I definitely think, if implemented, this should only be the title of the thread link.
I definately agree with the people who want this feature. I was going to make a thread requesting/asking about this aswell. I didn't know it was supposed to be a feature, i thought it was just the browsers that would show previews, they are definately great to have, if you don't have enough time,etc you can just quickly hover over the thread title and get a quick summary of the first line of the thread.

Please implement this into MyBB! Big Grin
(2010-01-21, 05:25 PM)jak123 Wrote: [ -> ]Please implement this into MyBB! Big Grin

Make sure you vote! http://ideas.mybboard.net/idea/thread-preview-on-hover

Also, until (if) they do, you can use this mod- http://mods.mybboard.net/view/thread-tooltip-preview.
If something like this is implemented it should have a setting for the characters to cut off and at 0 it will be disabled. I personally wouldn't use this on any forum I run. Having too many mouseovers on a page imho is messy. MyBB hopefully will be cautious in implementation.
Voted!

Please implement this ASAP Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4