MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Confused about permissions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

We have a MyBB on our intranet. I want to setup a forum that is only accessible to a particular group. I have the impression that when you set up permissions you can only preclude a group from having access. Am I wrong?

Thanks!

Pahidla
If you disable the 'Can read' permission on the forum for every usergroup except for the particular group, then only the particular group would have access to the forum.
DennisTT Wrote:If you disable the 'Can read' permission on the forum for every usergroup except for the particular group, then only the particular group would have access to the forum.

Does that hold for all permissions or just 'Can Read'?
If you only want a certain group to post new threads, then you would disable the 'Can Post Threads' permission for all the other usergroups on the forum except the usergroup(s) you wish to allow.

You can use that concept for any permission. I hope you understand what I mean.
OK, sorry about two consequtive posts, but I just tried this and it didn't work.

For example, I am a member of "Administrators" and "Group A". I allowed access to "Forum A" only to Group A but - perhaps by virtue of being a member of "Administrators" - I'm not able to see "Forum A"

Also, by 'Can Read' did you mean "View"?

Thanks!

Pahidla
Yeah "View", I didn't remember what it was called off the top of my head.

What you're talking about might be a bug:
http://community.mybboard.net/showthread.php?tid=5646
Hi,

Before I read that very long thread about a bug, may be you could state the intended behavior.

Which one is right, if any?

1. A forum can be viewed by a user who belongs to at least one checked group.

or

2. A forum can be viewd by a user who belongs to all checked groups.

or

3. A forum can be viewd by a user who does not belong to any unchecked groups.

Many thanks!

Pahidla
It should be 1, but there might be a bug affecting it right now. (not very sure)