MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to really clean cookies?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello.
I noticed that even a logout action does not clear the password to protected rooms. So if anyone else will login at same computer, that person can go into protected room without password as it is being kept in the cookies. Is there a way to clean cookies completely on exit if that is a public computer? Is it possible to run some action on exit that will surely clean cookies? If I do clean cookies from IE General panel it works perfectly. Would be nice to be able to do the same via simple mouse click. I know there are some script actions that can really cleanup cookies.
And what should be correctly specified in Cookie Domain and Cookie Path fields if I want to be able of deleting cookies well?
Thanks a lot.
hey there

well the best way is the one u mentioned using IE cleanup .
umm regarding the cookie settings
cookie domain : .ursite.com / or .forums.ursite.com (depending on ur site , whether it fits the 1st or the sec)
cookie path: /forumdorectory/ or /

if u didn't get that, pls provide me with ur URL
regards
Hello zaher,
My main concern is password-protected rooms. I have noticed that it is dangerous to use the forum on public computers if you access password-protected rooms. Even if a user will logout room password isn't cleaned. That means that any other registered user; accessing forum from same computer could enter that protected room without any password as it is being kept in cookies. So I am really concerned how to help users easily cleanup room passwords. Otherwise room password is useless...
I hope I understood your tip, however I am not sure, so just in case here is the complete domain I have my forum on: http://moldova.worldcarp.org/forum and inside forum directory i have created a directory called biscuiti where I am going to store cookies from now on. Will that really help me with my issue?
Thank you mate.
tmhai Wrote:well, that stops the page from saving itself onto the computer, it might help... if the cookies that mybb uses are sessions.
It did not help me. May be that is because cookies that my mybb uses are not sessions? How to make cookies as sessions?
Thanks.
zaher1988 Wrote:hey there

well the best way is the one u mentioned using IE cleanup .
umm regarding the cookie settings
cookie domain : .ursite.com / or .forums.ursite.com (depending on ur site , whether it fits the 1st or the sec)
cookie path: /forumdorectory/ or /

if u didn't get that, pls provide me with ur URL
regards
I have set:
cokkie domain as: .moldova.worldcarp.org
cookie path as: /forum/biscuiti/
Guess what?Shy I CAN'T LOGIN TO FORUM...
Sad
What can i do now...?
tmhai Wrote:Well i would consider this a bug, ill have to look into it.
Yeah, it does seem like a bug. The "Clear Cookies" function should clear all of the MyBB cookies, not just a few of them.

However, there is a separate function to delete individual forum password cookies, which you can use by clicking "Clear stored forum password" in any password-protected forum.

Quote:hmmm, can anyone tell me what this is?

e3e1c4211b595b96d28d96b58c972d4d
An MD5 password hash? Toungue

az0000000 Wrote:By the way, what is the meaning of this option?
Admin CP --> Board Settings --> Server and Optimization Options --> Send No Cache Headers [commented as: With this option you can prevent caching of the page by the browser.]
I felt that could help me stop storing room passwords as cookies.
No, I don't think that will affect cookies at all.

Quote:I have set:
cokkie domain as: .moldova.worldcarp.org
cookie path as: /forum/biscuiti/
Guess what?Shy I CAN'T LOGIN TO FORUM...
Sad
I think "biscuiti/" should be removed. Cookies are stored on users' computers, not on the server.
WDZ Wrote:Yeah, it does seem like a bug. The "Clear Cookies" function should clear all of the MyBB cookies, not just a few of them.
Is there some hope to fix this bug?
Sorry, I am so disperate because I have promised my users reliable password protected forums Sad And when they found the bug I felt like orange...

WDZ Wrote:However, there is a separate function to delete individual forum password cookies, which you can use by clicking "Clear stored forum password" in any password-protected forum.
Could you please tell me where the function is? I will surely use it.

WDZ Wrote:I think "biscuiti/" should be removed. Cookies are stored on users' computers, not on the server.
I have done that. Good, now I can login to forum. Still it didn't help to cookies cleaning issue... Sad...Sad
az0000000 Wrote:Could you please tell me where the function is? I will surely use it.
When you're viewing a password-protected forum, look below the list of threads, next to "Mark this forum read | Subscribe to this forum" and you should see the link.
Lol you can't reverse an md5 hash. ie. once you make a md5 hash, you can't find out what it is (except if you try out all the combinations possible with the letters and numbers).
Pages: 1 2 3