MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New to MyBB - Twist my arm and make me use it.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey everyone,

I'm new to MyBB, I used to use IPB a couple of years ago, and now I've got a new site underway and intend to add a community to it soon. Only thing is, IPB is highly customisable, and that is one thing I tend to do... change things massively.

The only thing left for me to find out about MyBB is if it is highly customisable? Am I restricted to just changing colours and images, or moving the odd item along abit, or is it very customisable for me to have not many restrictions?

Looking forward to your replies,

Jonathan.
You can change virtually anything on the front-end. The only restriction is that you can't use any PHP in templates by default. There is a plugin for that though.
You are only limited by your imagination. practically everything can be customized if you have the know how
In my opinion MyBB is easier to customize than IPB because the classes and templates are organized better and simpler.
thanks to the three of you!

Just installed it, and I'll be keeping you all up to date with it all.
Dunno if IPB and VB are similar in terms of CSS, but damn, I tried VB4 some weeks ago and there were so many CSS files, classes and templates that I didn't know what to edit. I didn't even try, I just closed the window. "WTF IT'S OVER 9000!!!!".

So if that's what you mean by highly customizable, then MyBB is VERY customizable indeed. Go for it.
(and just to let you know, 1.6 is coming pretty soon in January/February with 50 new more features, fixes and improvements.)
Almost all the HTML is loaded via templates so you could completely recode them if you were so inclined.
Even you can create your custom css directly from your Admin CP, and attach it to special page or global page.
> that is one thing I tend to do... change things massively.

Hehe, I'm the same way. I've easily installed over 16+ themes on my forum (though there's only one now. I removed the rest), and half a million plugin (again, most are gone now)...

MyBB is really customizable. Especially if you know XHTML and CSS, and even more so if you know JavaScript and PHP.
(2010-01-25, 08:58 PM)Zomaian Wrote: [ -> ]In my opinion MyBB is easier to customize than IPB because the classes and templates are organized better and simpler.

+1 to this. That is why I make themes for mybb due to its simple classes and templates.
Pages: 1 2