MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: vB4 -->myBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've looked at the converters here, and to date it looks as if as yet there is no convertor available for vB4 to myBB.

I was wondering how long off this is likely to be, I stupidly made the mistake of upgrading a forum I have from vB3.8 upto vB4 and I'm unable to convert back as I overwrote the files D'oh! My only other option would be to convert across to myBB if at all possible (bearing in mind I've never done a migrate so that could be fun in itself Rolleyes), but see there is as yet no convertor for it!

Any ideas how long? Smile
I would imagine awhile. Ryan is probably working more on 1.6 than the merge system right now. Also I'm not even sure if has access to a vb4 database that he can use to make the merger for it.

http://www.skincitydesigns.com/bb/thread-298.html
@erniethemilk
How experienced are you ?
Do you have access to the shell on you're server ? Do you know enough sql to work on minor issues ?

If yes, then (and only then) i could give you a unsupported modification of the beta 5 converter.

Regards
Thanks for the replies Guys....Maybe with what's happening with vB4 MyBB should be looking at a converter Big Grin Sad

Looks like I'm stuck with vB4 then doesn't it for the time being, as I said tis my own fault really, I should have taken a backup copy of my database so I could have rolled it back to 3.8.4 Angry

@ Nifty Thanks for the offer, and whilst I no doubt have all the access I need to the database, what I don't have is the experience of confidence to perform the merge.

I'd be nervous about a merge with the standard converter tbh....

Thanks anyway, just seems I have to be patient!
(2010-01-28, 08:24 AM)erniethemilk Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the replies Guys....Maybe with what's happening with vB4 MyBB should be looking at a converter Big Grin Sad

Looks like I'm stuck with vB4 then doesn't it for the time being, as I said tis my own fault really, I should have taken a backup copy of my database so I could have rolled it back to 3.8.4 Angry

@ Nifty Thanks for the offer, and whilst I no doubt have all the access I need to the database, what I don't have is the experience of confidence to perform the merge.

I'd be nervous about a merge with the standard converter tbh....

Thanks anyway, just seems I have to be patient!

The beauty of the merger system is that you don't have to worry about messing up your existing database. Take his merger code, lock your VB forum, backup your MyBB database after a fresh install (in case the merger messes up too much) and do the merge. Your vB database will be unchanged, so you can revert by simply reopening your vB board.
(2010-01-28, 02:45 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]The beauty of the merger system is that you don't have to worry about messing up your existing database. Take his merger code, lock your VB forum, backup your MyBB database after a fresh install (in case the merger messes up too much) and do the merge. Your vB database will be unchanged, so you can revert by simply reopening your vB board.

But do you think it's likely to work, given I am not too experienced with this kind of thing? Smile
MyBB's merge system is very good, and it will convert passwords if you can upload and install the mod that it comes with.
I've PM'd Nifty, so I'll take a look when he comes back to me!

I'm tempted, it's not a big forum but the few members I have don't want it screwed up! Problem is vB4 is just doing my head in it looks so bad Big Grin Sad
i convert vb4 to mybb once and i didnt get any errors. (i select vb4 as vb3 and it worked. but if you try like this do not forget making backups)
Well, I downloaded the standard merge tool and gave it a try having backed up everything first just in case, and guess what?

It worked! I lost a couple of things, such as all the PM's by the look but I can live with that... other than that it appears to have been successful! Smile
Pages: 1 2