MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Updating
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, to start off I have edited quite a bit of my forum, lots of CSS and graphic modifications outside of my theme. Last time I updated it replaced what seemed to be almost everything aside from edits I had made to my theme but some CSS I had edited in like global or where ever it got reverted back to default and it took quite some time to get my forum back to the way it was.

My problem is, I don't remember every single thing I have edited so when I go to update its just going to replace a lot of custom stuff. Is there a trick to like merging the update so that none of the files I have edited get reverted back to default?

Also: "You are currently running MyBB 1.4.9 whilst the latest generally available release is MyBB 1.4.11 (1411)."

I am not THAT far behind but I would like to update it.
Well, you're missing out on security fixes, you're behind enough. If you backup everything first, database and files, even if your datacenter explodes, you'll have your data safe and you could revert to it. You'll have to update the files, that's what upgrading is, using updated files with bug fixes... if you mean you've made core file edits, it would have been better for you if you'd made a note of what file edits you'd done so you could make them again. Templates won't get changed though. To upgrade, you'd need to download 1.4.11 and upload everything over your current files, then run the upgrade script.
Quote:if you mean you've made core file edits, it would have been better for you if you'd made a note of what file edits you'd done so you could make them again.

Yea this is what I figured, never even crossed my mind to make notes of all the edits. Also would have to go through and remove all core graphics I edited (ie. star ratings). K fun times ahead. Thank you Matt.
You shouldn't need to edit any of that, stylesheets shouldn't be affected, graphics and themes will be fine. How many core file edits have you made?? Are you sure they are file edits and not templates??
(2010-01-26, 11:01 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]You shouldn't need to edit any of that, stylesheets shouldn't be affected, graphics and themes will be fine. How many core file edits have you made?? Are you sure they are file edits and not templates??

To be honest I don't even remember, I just remember having to re-edit quite a bit of stuff after I updated awhile back. I am just going to close the forum for a few hours, update it, if it ends up being a lot of work I can use my latest backup to totally revert back to the older version correct?
Yep, if you have a full database and full file system backup, you can revert to that. If you do have to do that though, it is highly recommended you make the changes in the 'mybb_1410_patches.txt' file on this blog post afterwards, so you at least have the security updates.