MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Installation issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there. I've decided to make a website, and I decided that i would need a forum. So, i browsed around and i found that MyBB came out top. I downloaded the package and uploaded the Upload folder without changing the format of the download version (Apart from changing config.php). To my dismay, the installer isn't coming up, the web address is this:
http://www.musicalmatters.co.uk/forums/install

The index is pretty poor because i was just trying out a few things. Can anyone assist me?
/install
Firstly, I would rename the Upload folder to something more appropriate, like forums or boards. This is just cosmetic.

The real issue is setting up default files through your web server's configuration. As an example, Apache comes preconfigured to serve index.html, index.htm, or default.htm if someone requests a URL which maps to a directory. Now that you've installed PHP, you need to add index.php to that list:

DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.htm default.htm
Could you explain it in a bit more depth? As just saying '/install' doesn't really help...

So what you are saying, i should log into my server via the web control panel and add inex.php to the directory?
No, index.php is there, but your server isn't setup to recognise it as a directory index file, and going to it directly gives an error. You'll need to ask your host about it.
What specifically should i ask?

I am new to this php stuff. I'm good with web design Toungue

EDIT: I've just read through the F.A.Qs and it is saying that php isn't supported with MS Home (My package) is there an asp version? Can i just change .php to .asp?
Ask them to add index.php as a valid index file name, alternatively if you run an apache server you could add this to your htaccess file:

DirectoryIndex index.php
(2010-01-26, 10:34 PM)gunmania0 Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: I've just read through the F.A.Qs and it is saying that php isn't supported with MS Home (My package) is there an asp version? Can i just change .php to .asp?

No, no that's not going to work at all. Seeing as MyBB is written in PHP, you'll need a host that actually allows you to run PHP...
Just about all Linux hosting has PHP installed, just find some cheap Linux shared hosting (there is even free options). (see here for some options http://community.mybboard.net/thread-30827.html)

ASP and PHP are entirely different languages.
Yeah, chalk and cheese. Think diesel in a petrol car.