MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Generated Lists Based on Forum Opinion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd like to request a plugin that will generate a rank list based the average of all the users lists. For examples, the admin will provide 20 categories to be ranked in what ever or a user chooses. At some timely basis,the plugin will generate a forum list for the average of all the user generated lists. User will be able to access their personal list from the UserCP and from there it can be compared to the forum list. A link to the forum list would also be available in the botton navigation. Of course, the admin will be able to name the links and lists however they please.

The idea behind this list is to generate a tier list based on forum-goers choices. I believe this would be useful for competitive gaming/sports based forums.

I know something like this would be a lot to code. Thanks.
What you are asking look quite familiar to a plugin i just did recently, have a look here to see if it could suit your needs and read the thread about it.

If it is not what you are looking for, then please describe what you need a little further... Wink
Thanks, but it's not quite what I'm looking for. What I want would work like this: example, I post a list for favorite color in order from most fav to least, and the list includes red, blue, green, and yellow. My forum have 5 members including the admin. The favorite colors for each member are:
***4 3 2 1
q. B, G, R, Y
w. B, R, Y, G
e. R, B, G, Y
d. G, Y, R, B
A: B, G, Y, R

so, every week, or whatever time interval, the forum generates a new average list based on the total number of users.
If a value is given for the ranking, (most favorite = # of choices), and that number is given in order.

Blue: (4+4+3+1+4)/5 = 3
Green: (3+1+2+4+2)/5 = 2.8
Red: (2+3+4+2+1)/5 = 2.4
Yellow: (1+2+1+3+2)/5 = 1.8

Therfore, the forum generated list will be: B, G, R, Y

Depending on the settings, there may be multiple lists, list can be locked or remain open for re-ordering. I see this as a good way to develop tier lists or a fun interesting way to have some kind of list contest Toungue.

I hope this explains enough.
Yes, now i understand more what you need! Wink

It is a kind of statistics application that will collect data structured by users to display global positioning of each values...

The main problem would be to know how the data would be collected.
- Will they vote on a new set of values each week, presented in a poll?
- Will they set each values individually at will, in their own profile?
- Will they have to fillup a form whenever they want, presented in a special page?

Presenting the results is an easy task, doing the data collection can be less easy...

What you are asking, looks like a constant daily election survey for X candidates! Wink
I'm glad you get it!
Well, depending on the type of statistic to be collected, or what I want. Primarily, for my site, I would want a weekly tier list, showing which characters of a specific game are ranked by the user as best to worst. A feature like that I would want available in the UserCP, and inaccessible to other users. Users can see the Forum average and compare it to their own.

The other use could be for something like a contest, where something could be given to the user(s) who's list matches the forum list.

So to your questions,

The main problem would be to know how the data would be collected.
- Will they vote on a new set of values each week, presented in a poll?
Not necessarily, no.
- Will they set each values individually at will, in their own profile?
Yes. Each value can be set at any time at will.
- Will they have to fillup a form whenever they want, presented in a special page?
Maybe...?
Are you willing to pay for such a plugin?

Because i could develop it as a premium... Wink
Only if the price is reasonable. Maybe $15, with life time maintainance when requested?
(2010-01-31, 06:52 PM)Torengo Wrote: [ -> ]Only if the price is reasonable. Maybe $15, with life time maintainance when requested?

As a coder, I'd never include lifetime support / maintenance for $15. a more reasonable price structure would be $10-15 to develop and support for the first 3 months, then an agreed-upon amount per incident. Each type of incident (make compatible to new version of MyBB, introduce new type of poll, bug fix, RFE) would have a different pay scale. Consideration should be given as to whether you want this plugin for yourself, or if you'll let the developer sell it to other users, or if you want the plugin released to the MyBB community at large.