MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How Much MyBB Can Handle?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I noticed that there are no MyBB forums of Big Boards and was just wondering how much MyBB can handle.

Can your forum system handle 10,000 users online with over 10 million posts?

What is the largest known MyBB forum?
http://ncaabbs.com/
http://hackforums.net/
http://forum.suprbay.org/ (this is The Pirate Bay's forum)

Are some big ones, whats more the last two say a lot about how good MyBB's security is.
Hack Forums is the largest MyBB forum I know of.

Edit: Ahh, TimB. beat me too it.
HF isn't the largest (yet) but it's the most active.

In comparison HF is more active than Digitalpoint forums which runs VB.

The coding of MyBB is very good. It does very good database management control and imho not much has to be done for big boards.

btw..bigboards.com has not been updated in a long time. They don't even list MyBB as a software even though it's probably a top 3 (SMF and PHPB) for usage. I suggest you review this site:
http://www.thebiggestboards.com
yeah, at least Our Client Forum is the biggest MyBB in my Country
Quote:Our members have made a total of 1.092.022 posts in 91.050 threads.
We currently have 102.054 members registered. The most users online at one time (15 minutes) was 834
I'll see if Ryan Gordon can respond here, he helps run one of the biggest MyBB forum so will be able to advise any optimisations you could do. MyBB should handle it fine though.
There's plenty you can do to allow MyBB to handle big forums well. What labrocca suggested is only only one scenario. Other things like the default search functionality in MyBB can be slow on large forums so it has to be replaced with a new engine. I wrote a plugin that utilizes a software called Sphinx which is a separate searching engine built for large databases, which you can find in the Modifications Development forum. There's also plugins for "pre-parsing" posts and signatures so you can speedup the slow process that would normally take to parse the BBCode in every single post into code that the browser can read. It works on a standard caching algorithm, based on a statistical "hit-and-miss" ratio. This allows the plugin to cache the recently viewed or biggest threads while still not caching the threads that will likely never be viewed or rarely thus keeping the disk space it takes up to lower levels. This plugin can reduce the overall CPU usage by several notches.

And among those, there are other things you can do. Turning off "similar threads" (if you have it on) can increase performance on big forums since it is a very intensive process to find "similar threads". Other things under the hood in the "Server / Optimization settings" in the ACP can be toggled and tweaked with that can lead to improved performance.

I would say that MyBB by default can handle forums up to (about) 1,000,000 posts on average hardware without needing any change. As sites grow past that number, tweaks and plugins might need to be made/installed to keep it running smoothly.
One thing I changed with search is the default search is titles only. People have to click the "search entire post" if they want to post search.

I been thinking about using your signature parser Ryan but since my new innodb changes MyBB has been running incredibly smooth. It's been 3 weeks and I still haven't had to restart MySQL...even under DDOS attacks.

Quote:I would say that MyBB by default can handle forums up to (about) 1,000,000 posts on average hardware without needing any change. As sites grow past that number, tweaks and plugins might need to be made/installed to keep it running smoothly.

That's probably fair. I think a forum could also be on shared hosting from 100k-250k posts depending on daily activity. I moved from shared -> dedicated -> better dedicated -> 3 server farm.

I run xcache which has good performance imho.

I'd still like to see the changes to global.php to allow for external image server as well.
Issue #455 adds support for an external image server in 1.6.
Pages: 1 2