MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Questions from a noob's noob.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay. Here is my deal.

I purchased my domain name and deluxe hosting service through godaddy.

I created and SQL Database.

I downloaded Filezilla.

I downloaded the windows version of MyBB.

My OS is Windows XP.

Questions:
1) When uploading MyBB do I have to transfer 1 file at a time or can I transer the entire "Upload" file at once?

2) After the transfer is complete how do I install the software?
( I tried transfering the entire upload file. I was told that after I did this I typed this in the url. "www.mydomainname.com/install.php" When I did this I received a message that I had not uploaded correctly.)

3) If I understand correctly, a database is where the files that run the forum are stored. What is the difference between and SQL Database and a MySQL Database? The reason I ask is that on Godaddy I have the ability to create 2 SQL Databases and 25 MySQL Databases.

I am totally new to this. Any help is greatly appreciated.
1. You can drag the entire contents of the Upload folder to your web space.

2. The URL would be yourdomain.com/install/index.php, there is no install.php

3. No, the files are stored in the file system, what you use FTP for, the database is where the data is stored. SQL database and MySQL database is the same thing. Bit odd they're differentiating them, I can only assume the 'SQL' one can be used for other database types other than MySQL, so I'd make a MySQL one.
Thanks for the reply.

Next question.

What is DSN?
On the database screen on godaddy. It has an option to install DSN. Not sure what this is for and if I need to do it.

Thanks,
Beau
It's not necessary to run MyBB, no.