MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: *kerflush* Buh-bye, SMF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
It's recommended by noobs not experienced admins. I know this for a fact since I participate at all the major webmaster site.
I don't know why, but i've never really like SMF's interface and design and layout and all the rest of it. It reminds me of old stuff, lol Smile Long live MyBB!
> Admins want software to use that's backed by a stable team.

Exactly. I wouldn't be using MyBB if I didn't think it was being actively worked on.

> phpbb was destroyed years ago imho

phpbb is... Bad. I've used it before, both user-side and admin-side.
It's just terrible.

SMF:
I used to use it before I switched to MyBB. It's slow, the ACP is incredibly confusing and limited, and it looks ugly.
That's why I switched to MyBB. It's fast, clean, and efficient. Only reason why I would EVER move away from it is if I get a vBulletin 4.0 license. Toungue
I just think it's sad that SMF is sinking like it is: with old friends flaming each other to pieces.

(2010-02-05, 09:37 PM)Yggdrasil Wrote: [ -> ]You could always ask for my thoughts, considering I was a former SMF team member. Toungue
Okay, so what are your thoughts?
He stated them already :p
its done Huh
(2010-02-05, 05:04 PM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]But, since MyBB is GPL now even if a fight does break out one group will probably just fork it.

MyBB 2 isn't GPL yet. That's probably because development hasn't even started yet, but even when it does, the new code may not be publicly available right from the start. So at least in theory it could be possible that by 2013, 3 years of development in MyBB 2, the team disbands and poof. All you could fork then would be MyBB 1, which by then would be horribly outdated compared to the new forum software made by the former SMF team. Besides if the codebase of MyBB 1 could get you anywhere, the MyBB team probably wouldn't consider throwing it away by making MyBB 2 a complete rewrite instead...

Apart from that, forking only works when you actually have the know-how and public relations necessary to make the fork and get away with it. The number of people who could do that within the MyBB community is rather low. While MyBB seems to attract a lot of people, very few of those people seem to have an enthusiast programming background, and even fewer of those would make a suitable project lead.

Should MyBB ever face a problem similar to what SMF is apparently going through right now, I hope developers, supporters and community will be able to sort those out somehow. Forking is not the answer.

Anyone can point and laugh at other projects. Foreseeing, avoiding and ideally solving such issues in your own community before they grow into real problems is the hard part. Undecided Sad
(2010-02-05, 11:00 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone can point and laugh at other projects. Foreseeing, avoiding and ideally solving such issues in your own community before they grow into real problems is the hard part. Undecided Sad
Exactly. I just hope everyone else learns from what's going on at SMF and vB (I think one of their leads has left). Better to learn than to repeat!
I am another former team member of SMF and to clear a few things up ... a lot of people are actually switching to IPB not myBB this includes some of SMF's largest forums ... sorry to disappoint you all.

Secondly SMF was founded under Lewis Media, when SMF was large enough it was set up as a LLC over NPO as at the time it was thought to be best option, Lewis Media set Amacythe as the owner under condition that she set up 2 more members within a year, she didnt and it took 2 years for her to do this, the two people added were added and they have no legal standing they got added by name and thats all. Amacythe has stated many times that if [Unknown] or another founder returned she would sign the company back to them, when they did she never did anything. A few months ago, the team voted to allow the friends more say in a restructure to a NPO, if this was succesful there would have been a massive team, then a few weeks ago a decision was made by the admins that they will silence all the friends, this decision only got ot people that would approve of it, so many team leads and even one of the LLC partners never got a say. The friends some who have spent many many hours in sorting SMF were told to shut the hell up, and banned to speak of politics of the forum on the forum, smf-friends was created and this is where we tell the truth without SMF censorship. Many of us were banned for telling the truth, the team censored the blog post, removed posts asking what was going on, censored people etc etc, this caused alot of issues adding to the admins illegal move many of us talked about a new software that we are callin for now Project Phoenix, now what this will be is a secret to what we are making however it is going to be set up as SMF should be, and we already have a larger team than SMF. SMF recently asked to open up a dialogue between the friends and themselves, but straight away they are blocking any negotiation.

Is SMF dead, while many say no, a few of us say yes.

Please also realise with the recent actions of the SMF red badges over 30% of the team has stood down, as I stated many forums are converting to IPB, and many friends are demanding there badges be removed and the friends access.
@frost

I understand that but mybb is still different from SMF from the start. SMF 1.x versions weren't opensource either. It had a license similar to that of earlier versions of mybb. Except MyBB isn't part of a company.

Although it's truly possible mybb 2 won't be opensource(or even free) I can only hope it will be Big Grin. Because then well I don't know of any good free from software. And, well even the paid ones don't do much for me.
Pages: 1 2 3 4