MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Open Source
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The question is: Is MyBB Open Source? If not: Will it be?
MyBB is not currently Open Source. I doubt it will ever be.
If you're talking about open source in terms of the GNU GPL, or another open source licensing scheme like that then the answer is no, and it probably wont be. MyBB is under a custom license which can be viewed here: http://www.mybboard.com/eula.html

If you mean open source as in is the source code viewable and changable then yes it is, however modified files cannot be redistributed (such as code forkings to your own software).

MyBB is free, but is licensed by the EULA as available above.

Regards,
Chris
Another question which relates to this, Chris. Will MyBB ever follow the "IPB route"? Since Matt from IPS told us IPB would always be free but now they charge for it. Sad
MyBB will be free, as long as I am here, and that plans to be for a long time.

To subsidise the costs for things like the server, we'll probably open up a members area with priority support (something like $15-$20 a year or like $50 for lifetime membership - so we're talking cheap prices here), and maybe offer custom installations, upgrades and all of those other little services.

I can't make any promises because if for some reason something _ever_ does change, I don't want an army of people running towards me at 1000 miles an hour. However, I and the rest of the team will strive to keep MyBB free for you guys to enjoy Smile

Regards,
Chris.
EDIT: Chris managed to get ahead of me Toungue
Chris Boulton Wrote:If you're talking about open source in terms of the GNU GPL, or another open source licensing scheme like that then the answer is no, and it probably wont be. MyBB is under a custom license which can be viewed here: http://www.mybboard.com/eula.html

If you mean open source as in is the source code viewable and changable then yes it is, however modified files cannot be redistributed (such as code forkings to your own software).

MyBB is free, but is licensed by the EULA as available above.

Regards,
Chris
No, I mean Open Source as in the source is viewable, changable, and redistributable. So I guess the answer is no.
Kilroy Wrote:Another question which relates to this, Chris. Will MyBB ever follow the "IPB route"? Since Matt from IPS told us IPB would always be free but now they charge for it. Sad
But this is the question I'm primeraly looking for. I want to know if this forum software will suddenly turn pay-to-use on me (like IB -- Thanks alot, Matt)?
One of the main reasons we don't want "fully redistributable" copies of MyBB floating around, even being branded as something else is because we can't guarantee the code contained within them is secure, is running off the latest base, and is not giving MyBB a bad name in any way. It makes it easier for us if we can manage everything from a single place.

You're free to modify the source of your own and others copies, just don't share the source code around in whole or brand it as your own (only work in the modified source that you did is yours). You can post code modifications with instructions, snippets of MyBB code, and on here even a full file if it is really necessary.

We're not strict, unless you aren't following the license.

Best Regards,
Chris
That clarifies things. Thanks, Chris Smile