MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Have a Backup, but NEED to Know How to RESTORE??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I see quite a few messages describing backup procedures for MyBB from cPanel.

I do NOT see a clear decription of how to RESTORE that database. Can someone point me in the right direction? I *think* there is an option to 'Insert' the database in phpMyAdmin - but it is not clear at all to me how I would use that feature.

Any guidance is most appreciated.

TIA

- Dan
If you've got a SQL dump, you can just click the "SQL" button and upload your SQL dump from there.
DennisTT Wrote:If you've got a SQL dump, you can just click the "SQL" button and upload your SQL dump from there.

WHAT "SQL" Button? (Ref. attached screen shot)

Are you referring to the 'MySQL Databases' icon??
heloo there

pls go to ur phpmyadmin

[Image: phpmyadmin.jpg]

on the left hand of the screen u may find 4 little buttons the sec SQL is ur target, click it then select Import Files

regards
zaher1988 Wrote:heloo there

pls go to ur phpmyadmin

on the left hand of the screen u may find 4 little buttons the sec SQL is ur target, click it then select Import Files

regards

Thanks - that helped me some.

Now the problem is that I can restore the DB - so if I have backed-up a DB and now with to restore that same DB, I think I understand how to do that.

But what if I have a MyBB DB in one MySQL DB (name) and I wish to restore a *different* MySQL DB, which has a different name? This is what I am trying to accomplish.

You see - I have a MyBB site running the 'normal' board - and I have a trial MyBB site where I play around with different settings and mods. Once I am happy with that, I want to migrate the trial board over to the operational board - but they have different MySQL names - and, of course, different locations, file references and so on.

Is there a straight-forward way to accomplish this?

TIA

- Dan
Anyone have suggestions as to HOW-TO accomplish this?
If I understood you right you want to move the tables with their contents from one database to another. That is possibe. You can import a backup from another db. The only problem could be version incompatibilities between the MySQL-Versions if they are different.
After importing the backup you need to change the connection details for your database in the file inc/config.php.
The database names should not matter.
If you select your database from the drop down menu in phpmyadmin, then click on Export on the right-hand frame. Click Select All under the list of tables and click Go. This will backup all your tables.
But it is database independant. That means you can use this sql in any database (that doesn't already have those tables already in it) and it will work.
EDIT: Same time Sad