MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: CHMODing problem.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm using Filezilla.
I right click the file I want to mod. I click File permissions. I change the value and click okay.

This is the message I get.

Status: Set permissions of '/Upload/inc/config.default.php' to '666'
Command: CWD /Upload/inc
Response: 250 CWD command successful.
Command: SITE CHMOD 666 config.default.php
Response: 500 'SITE CHMOD 666 config.default.php': command not understood

Why is it saying command not understood?
Are you using a Windows server? If you are then CHMOD is not relevant as Windows does not support it and this is probably causing your problem. You just need to make sure those files are writable, it will tell you in the install process if they are.
(2010-02-07, 07:35 AM)TimB. Wrote: [ -> ]Are you using a Windows server? If you are then CHMOD is not relevant as Windows does not support it and this is probably causing your problem. You just need to make sure those files are writable, it will tell you in the install process if they are.

I do not know what the server type is. I thought it was Linux but I could be wrong. My hosting is through Godaddy.

As for the install process I can not even start it. I typed "mydomain.com/forum/install" and I get an error "page not found" message.
This is what it reads.
Page Not Found

The page you tried to access does not exist on this server. This page may not exist due to the following reasons:

You are the owner of this web site and you have not uploaded (or incorrectly uploaded) your web site. For information on uploading your web site using FTP client software or web design software, click here for FTP Upload Information.

The URL that you have entered in your browser is incorrect. Please re-enter the URL and try again.

The Link that you clicked on incorrectly points to this page. Please contact the owner of this web site to inform them of this situation.

Ideas?
Well, you just haven't uploaded the files to the right place. What's your URL??
Nevermind. I did not name my folder "forum". It was named upload. So I needed to enter "mydomain.com/upload/install".
Okay so I am in the install process and I am getting an error on the requirements check. It's telling me that the files are not writable. So now I am back to the original problem.
If Godaddy uses a Windows server how do I change the required files to writable?
(2010-02-07, 07:35 AM)TimB. Wrote: [ -> ]Are you using a Windows server? If you are then CHMOD is not relevant as Windows does not support it and this is probably causing your problem. You just need to make sure those files are writable, it will tell you in the install process if they are.

Okay the files are not writable. Does anyone have any knowledge of godaddy hosting? I can not figure out how to change the file permissions.
Does godaddy have an online file manager? Try changing the permissions through that if you can.
Okay here's the deal.

When I signed up with godaddy I picked Windows shared hosting. I must have been thinking it would be easier than Linux.

With Windows shared hosting you can not, or they don't allow, permissions to be changed on individual files. You can only change them on file folders. Thus affecting every file in the folder.

They are changing my hosting over to Linux. Hopefully I will be able to get up and running soon. They said it could take up to 72 hours to make the switch.

Thanks all for trying to help.