MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: GMAIL works with MYBB 100% on Windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:You will need a email server to send/recieve SMTP emails inside a windows OS runing apache.

No you don't.

Edit your php.ini to use SMTP of your ISP. That should be all you need. That's the entire purpose of SMTP connections.

I could setup a server without any MTA at all and have it connect to an SMTP to send the mail. What do you think the point is using Gmail SMTP? Gmail is the MTA.

Basically your instructions appear fine except you do not need MS Office installed. If you did install it and think that was helped it work you're wrong.
I know what you're saying though. Wink

Gmail ain't good for this, because it's smtp configuration does not use classic http protocol and port 25, it needs SSL plus REQUIRES AUTHORIZATION and it needs username and password, so it won't work without a SMTP mail server.

In windows you need to find your way to make PHP able to send out mail, which can be very difficult at times for even the average user. The method that I show is the easier way around it all.
What? How would you not have permission? If you don't have perms to edit the php.ini you certainly don't have the perms to install MS Office which btw is a very expensive product you're telling people they need when in fact they don't.
for those who can not afford microsoft office 2007

If you open the php.ini file you will find ONLY two lines:

[mail function]
{windows}
SMTP_SERVER =
SMTP_PORT =

The following two lines don't exist:

auth_username =
auth_password =

So you will need to add them to be able to send mail from gmail since it requires authentication.

So here is what you can do:

smtp_server =
smtp_port =
auth_username =
auth_password =

PS: Please make sure to uncomment the
;extension=php_openssl.dll.
extension=php_openssl.dll
in php.ini

If you have OUTLOOK EXPRESS (free with Windows XP / 2003 ) I can show you for this to if anyone needs help setting up your email server instead of edting the php ini to also work with MYBB with gmail email..
Hello! I'm still unclear on what does this do? Does it allow you to register and log-in with gmail, or what exactly?
I apology if the question is stupid, English is not my national language so sometimes I have trouble with understanding the main point Big Grin

I'd appreciate the answer very much.
Good work
Does this work for Linux servers to? (just the uncomment openssl part?) cuz I'm having a google apps email issue too.. I moved to a VPS and now MyBB won't connect to gmail smtp server.
I must be stupid, so I have to edit the php.ini file before I can send email

Also extension=php_openssl.dll does not show up at all

also ; For Win32 only.
SMTP = localhost
smtp_port = 25
auth_username =
auth_password =

am I supposed to enter those values here? Or in the MyBB settings?
(2013-06-15, 08:00 AM)asoldier Wrote: [ -> ]I must be stupid, so I have to edit the php.ini file before I can send email

Also extension=php_openssl.dll does not show up at all

also ; For Win32 only.
SMTP = localhost
smtp_port = 25
auth_username =
auth_password =

am I supposed to enter those values here? Or in the MyBB settings?

You need to enter this values in mybb settings and not in your php.ini file:
Goto ACP => Settings => Mail Settings=> <Fill the values>

(2013-04-26, 02:20 AM)WebDevandPhoto Wrote: [ -> ]Does this work for Linux servers to? (just the uncomment openssl part?) cuz I'm having a google apps email issue too.. I moved to a VPS and now MyBB won't connect to gmail smtp server.

It does work for me in Linux Hosting.
Pages: 1 2