MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: GMAIL works with MYBB 100% on Windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Big Grin Almost 2 1/2 years of digging around deep into MyBB "mail settings" SMTP and thinking it was MYBB that was the problem to why gmail was not working, i figured it out on my own that it isn't MYBB nor GMAIL!

Here are the steps I took on getting GMAIL to work with MYBB.

"Microsoft Office 2007" installed on a Windows Server

You have to configure Outlook 2007 for your Gmail address...
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answe...swer=86374

Please make sure in MyBB to fill in your Gmail settings in "Mail Settings" for SMTP.

[Image: mybbsmtp.png]

Please make sure to open your php.ini file, now uncomment the
;extension=php_openssl.dll.
extension=php_openssl.dll

Save the php.ini file and restart your server.

Try running your test email, it should send the mail from Mybb. Toungue

PS: If it works for you all I ask from you is to "Thank Me" Wink
Thank you Smile
Moving to tutorials Smile
Thank You very much
Thanks for this tutorial technoman.
(2010-02-07, 01:17 PM)technoman Wrote: [ -> ]..."Microsoft Office 2007" installed on a Windows Server...

<'dumb question'>
Does "Windows Server" require a premium OS?
Will this tut work on Windows Vista Home (or XP Home), if I have _.A.M.P installed?
{Apache + Windows = Windows Server Angel}
</'dumb question'>

What (min.) Windows OS is required to be a 'server'?
(2010-03-09, 10:42 AM)seeker Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for this tutorial technoman.
(2010-02-07, 01:17 PM)technoman Wrote: [ -> ]..."Microsoft Office 2007" installed on a Windows Server...

<'dumb question'>
Does "Windows Server" require a premium OS?
Will this tut work on Windows Vista Home (or XP Home), if I have _.A.M.P installed?
{Apache + Windows = Windows Server Angel}
</'dumb question'>

What (min.) Windows OS is required to be a 'server'?

You can run Windows XP as a server. We did it at work. Though you are limited the number of connections. Window users usually use IIS not Apache. The connections on XP is something like 10, but can be hacked to 40.
And this is from a home connection? If so use the SMTP of your ISP.

And if you use GMAIL SMTP you don't need Microsoft Office installed at all. The SMTP protocol and connection is handled by PHP not MS Office.

You do know that many ISPs do not allow SMTP connections. Example is I have a COX connection and I can't use GMAIL SMTP because the port is blocked. Maybe I could reconfigure the Gmail port but the reason ISPs block this is to prevent home servers from becoming spam sending bots. All email must filter through their service to be logged.
thanks guys
some people want smtp - pop email over php OR Domain email, so gmail was an alternative that i figured out and it works easily/nicely with MYBB Wink
@ Technoman, are you using apache for windows or IIS?
apache
(2010-03-09, 10:42 AM)seeker Wrote: [ -> ]What (min.) Windows OS is required to be a 'server'?

windows 2000 pro
windows xp
windows xp pro
windows 2003
vista
windows 7
labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]And if you use GMAIL SMTP you don't need Microsoft Office installed at all. The SMTP protocol and connection is handled by PHP not MS Office.

You will need a email server to send/recieve SMTP emails inside a windows OS runing apache.

labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]You do know that many ISPs do not allow SMTP connections.

Here in canada I can run my very own (website/smtp) from home providing that I do NOT abuse the system for spam ( or my ISP will discontinue my service! )
Mark.M Wrote:The connections on XP is something like 10, but can be hacked to 40.

you can hack Windows XP / Pro / 2003 "ONLY" (with service pack 2 & 3) to a FULL 100 connection Big Grin

http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=downloads
Pages: 1 2