MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is It Possible To Have Multiple Forums But One Database For Accounts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

First post here. I'm the webmaster at Manhattan Express and our network is composed of various forums which focuses on different topics. (Academics, Engineering and Transit so far) Since the audiences are different for all three forums, there have been some suggestions (and complaints) that users should be able to have one account that can be shared across all three forums. So I was wondering if this was possible.

Thanks for the help.
-SevenEleven
It's not very easy to do and I know of nobody who has wanted to do it who has been successful.
I think you can make it work if all the forums use the same database. for everything. I have been playing with it a bit and this seems to work

In global.php you have to make an if statement right after

require_once $working_dir."/inc/init.php";

Something like :

if ($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] == 'your1stdomain.com') {
 $settings['bburl'] = "your1stdomain.com";
 $settings['cookiedomain'] = ".your1stdomain.com";
 }
if ($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] == 'your2nddomain.com') {
 $settings['bburl'] = "your2nddomain.com";
 $settings['cookiedomain'] = ".your2nddomain.com";
 } 

Of course you have to point the domains to the same directory on the server.

1 install > several domains...

EDIT :Just realized that it would need a little more to make it look like separate forums...

Gonna play around with it a little bit... Will let you know if success
Here is the easiest way to achieve something like what you want.

Create a different theme for each of your different boards and then create forum categories on your single board for each of the different boards you want. Then set the board theme to the different ones for each of your forums then link to the forum category rather than the board index, eg link to this: http://community.mybboard.net/forum-80.html then you can make some template edits to remove index breadcrumbs and things.