MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Term CHMOD means in installation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I am very new to MyBB and unfamiliar with what the phrase "CHMOD the following files to 666 (ie, make sure that PHP can write to them)." in the installation directions. Could someone please help me out?

Thanks

Dave
In a nutshell CHMOD is changing file permissions. I'm sure there are many ways of doing this, the most simple for me is using my ftp client. I use Filezilla and it is as simple as right clicking on the file and click "file permissions".
CHMOD is an abreaviation for change mode it just means if files can be read , written and executed mybb will tell you to change the chmod to 777 or something to do that on filezilla right click and file permissions and the rest is simple
chmod is a command in *nix operating systems (like Linux and OS X) which changes file permissions. Normally you supply a 3-digit number. The first digit is for the user which owns the file; the second for the group which owns the file; third everyone else. Each digit is a bit-mask of permissions:

4 = read
2 = write
1 = execute

A value of 755 means the owner has full permissions, while the group and everyone else can only read and execute.

Many graphical FTP clients (such as Filezilla) give you an easy way to set these permissions.