MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to: Set default permissions so new usergroup cannot see any forums (Whitelist)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a way to set default user group permissions so they cannot see threads by default?
I do not mean they get the message "You don't have permission to view this page".
I mean that the user simply doesn't have the forum displayed to them.

I don't have hosting yet (just XAMPP setup) so can't give a link. I hope these pictures will clarify.

[Image: 14691703.jpg]
** I can achieve the effect I want by going into each forum and unchecking "User Group Default", and un-checking all of the other boxes (eg 'Can View'), for the new user group that I have created.

[Image: 46434611.jpg]
** I thought that maybe I could set that behavior to default by un-checking one or both of the first two options here. However the behavior is different.

In this way it would be like a whitelist (I must manually add view and post permissions for the forums I want a new usergroup to access).
Why would I do it this way? I have a lot of forums, but want each usergroup to view only a handful. It would be more efficient to add their permissions to 5 forums, than remove them from 100.

Any ideas?
Thank you.
Once you create one usergroup with no default permissions you can then copy those permissions to any new usergroups you create. If I've read your post correctly that should have the desired effect?
I think they want those permissions to be applied to new forums that are made, not new usergroups.

I don't think there is a setting to do what you need, I don't think enough people would need an option to not give access to a new forum by default.
(2010-02-11, 10:17 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]I think they want those permissions to be applied to new forums that are made, not new usergroups.

You understand perfectly Matt.
Bummer that MyBB can't do it, but thank you for your very quick reply. Big Grin

I wonder if there are many people out there that have made huge forums like this and found a way to still make the user experience tidy?