MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Theme Opinions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just finished my new theme, and finally got it to my server (after a bit of trouble). I wanted to get a few more opinions while it's still new, and I haven't buried the working files yet.

I wanted to go for a more 'Web-2.0' look without depending on a fixed layout or major template modifications on almost every page. It also depends on no more Javascript than the original MyBB theme.

It is designed to look reasonably well on screen sizes from the iPhone (in landscape mode due to the width of the logo banner) to an HDTV (though it will probably be somewhat sparse and kind of small), but was primarily developed in 1280x800 and 1280x1024.

I do kind of need to redo some of the icons on the postbit buttons, since they're from the old theme and I wanted to get comments on the big picture right now.

The theme is called "Firebird 3" (it's a long story as to why an icy blue theme is called Firebird").

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I appreciate any constructive feedback!
It looks the same as any other Web 2.0 design. Gradients, gloss, obnoxious shadows...I recommend doing something completely different and moving away from the clichéd Web 2.0 look. I frequently use Patterntap for inspiration.
I toned down the shadows on the sides, as well as a couple of the gradients and the gloss on the title bars. I, personally, like the smooth gloss, though I admit that the side shadows were a bit much, and it looks a bit better with more gentle gradients. I wanted it to not look like Windows 98 but with prettier title bars, but I also wanted to not need heavy template edits or javascript or any of that fun.
(2010-02-11, 11:40 PM)computergeek67 Wrote: [ -> ]It looks the same as any other Web 2.0 design. Gradients, gloss, obnoxious shadows...I recommend doing something completely different and moving away from the clichéd Web 2.0 look. I frequently use Patterntap for inspiration.

Thanks for that link computergeek. That will help me later on Smile.
(2010-02-12, 06:21 PM)NBKTwitch Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-02-11, 11:40 PM)computergeek67 Wrote: [ -> ]It looks the same as any other Web 2.0 design. Gradients, gloss, obnoxious shadows...I recommend doing something completely different and moving away from the clichéd Web 2.0 look. I frequently use Patterntap for inspiration.

Thanks for that link computergeek. That will help me later on Smile.

^^ Me 2.