MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Individual forum/ thread pages not showing up... 404 error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone!

im test driving mybb before going live, ive installed it with the google seo plugin, everything went smoothly without errors but whenever i go to a forum page ou click a link thread from the index page i get a 404 page, that didnt happen before installing the google seo plugin

this is the test forum

http://www.ricardouk.com/mybb

this is the .htacess mybb is using:

Options -MultiViews +FollowSymlinks -Indexes

#

# If mod_security is enabled, attempt to disable it.

# - Note, this will work on the majority of hosts but on

#   MediaTemple, it is known to cause random Internal Server

#   errors. For MediaTemple, please remove the block below

#

<IfModule mod_security.c>

# Turn off mod_security filtering.

SecFilterEngine Off

# The below probably isn't needed, but better safe than sorry.

SecFilterScanPOST Off

</IfModule>

#

# MyBB "search engine friendly" URL rewrites

# - Note, for these to work with MyBB please make sure you have

#   the setting enabled in the Admin CP and you have this file

#   named .htaccess

#

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine on
	# Google SEO workaround for search.php highlights:
# Make this rule the first rewrite rule in your .htaccess!
RewriteRule ^([^&]*)&(.*)$ http://ricardouk.com/mybb/$1?$2 [L,QSA,R=301]

# Google SEO Sitemap:
RewriteRule ^sitemap-([^./]+)\.xml$ misc.php?google_seo_sitemap=$1 [L,QSA,NC]

# Google SEO URL Forums:
RewriteRule ^Forum-([^./]+)$ forumdisplay.php?google_seo_forum=$1 [L,QSA,NC]

# Google SEO URL Threads:
RewriteRule ^Thread-([^./]+)$ showthread.php?google_seo_thread=$1 [L,QSA,NC]

# Google SEO URL Announcements:
RewriteRule ^Announcement-([^./]+)$ announcements.php?google_seo_announcement=$1 [L,QSA,NC]

# Google SEO URL Users:
RewriteRule ^User-([^./]+)$ member.php?action=profile&google_seo_user=$1 [L,QSA,NC]

# Google SEO URL Calendars:
RewriteRule ^Calendar-([^./]+)$ calendar.php?google_seo_calendar=$1 [L,QSA,NC]

# Google SEO URL Events:
RewriteRule ^Event-([^./]+)$ calendar.php?action=event&google_seo_event=$1 [L,QSA,NC]

RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]+)\.html$ forumdisplay.php?fid=$1 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]+)-page-([0-9]+)\.html$ forumdisplay.php?fid=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-page-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-lastpost\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&action=lastpost [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-nextnewest\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&action=nextnewest [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-nextoldest\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&action=nextoldest [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-newpost\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&action=newpost [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-post-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&pid=$2 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?pid=$1 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^announcement-([0-9]+)\.html$ announcements.php?aid=$1 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^user-([0-9]+)\.html$ member.php?action=profile&uid=$1 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?calendar=$1 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)-year-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?action=yearview&calendar=$1&year=$2 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)-year-([0-9]+)-month-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?calendar=$1&year=$2&month=$3 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)-year-([0-9]+)-month-([0-9]+)-day-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?action=dayview&calendar=$1&year=$2&month=$3&day=$4 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)-week-(n?[0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?action=weekview&calendar=$1&week=$2 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^event-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?action=event&eid=$1 [L,QSA]

<IfModule mod_env.c>

SetEnv SEO_SUPPORT 1

</IfModule>

</IfModule>

#

# If Apache is compiled with built in mod_deflade/GZIP support

# then GZIP Javascript, CSS, HTML and XML so they're sent to

# the client faster.

#

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-javascript text/css text/html text/xml

</IfModule>

Can anyone help me figuring out what is causing the prob?
does your host support mod_rewrite?

Try adding RewriteBase /mybb after Rewriteengine on, some hosts require you to specify the folder.
im using wordpress on my blog and it needs mod rewrite as im using a personalized url scheme...i'll add it and report back
shoul i add "RewriteBase /mybb" after after "Rewriteengine" on on the same line?
i modified the .htacess like this, but it didnt work
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine on
	RewriteBase /mybb
	# Google SEO workaround for search.php highlights:
# Make this rule the first rewrite rule in your .htaccess!
RewriteRule ^([^&]*)&(.*)$ http://ricardouk.com/mybb/$1?$2 [L,QSA,R=301]

should i post this question on the plugin page? I didnt post it as i wasnt sure where the problem was
any advices?
Seems to be working OK now Smile
i went to the pluggin thread and after resubmitting the htaccess file it works ok, i must have deleted some line when following the instalattion procedure of the plugin that envolved editing that file.

One question, altought offtopic... i noticed that forum url links start with "forum-.....", thread url links start with "thread-....", can i remove those words from the plugin options and just have the "normal url"? i think theres an option to remove that from the structure but as a newbie i prefer to ask first ...just in case
in case someone has the same problem here's the link:
http://community.mybboard.net/thread-464...#pid466383
If you have just the "normal url", and then you have a forum called Foobar, a thread called Foobar, and a user called Foobar, then... yoursite/Foobar which one is it?

Currently Google SEO does not handle this kind of conflict, hence there is something in the URL that distinguishes the type of URL.

It handles conflicts when there are two threads called Foobar though.

The options you saw are there for customizing, not removing, those words. For example you could use f- instead of Forum-.
This thread is getting really interesting... ive removed the words before and i got greeted with a message to edit the htaccess file...edited it...it works.

frostschutz i understand what you said about the usefullness of those words, will switch back to how it was, im learning and testing... what i found interesting was that thsi post is already indexed by google and the title appears correctly on google, so we dont reaaly need a "fancy" url to get viewed by search engines?

I prefer the "preetty" url scheme as it provides a visual recognition of the link destination while hovering the mouse above the link.

Is mybb without mods search engine friendly?
(2010-02-16, 09:50 PM)ricardouk Wrote: [ -> ]so we dont reaaly need a "fancy" url to get viewed by search engines?

Yes, you don't really need it.

(2010-02-16, 09:50 PM)ricardouk Wrote: [ -> ]I prefer the "preetty" url scheme as it provides a visual recognition of the link destination while hovering the mouse above the link.

Same here. I wanted URLs that are easy to remember, without random numbers in it, when writing this plugin. Also, Google's SEO Starter guide states that SEO shouldn't be about the search engine, it should be about the user, i.e. what's good for the users is also good for search engines... Wink

(2010-02-16, 09:50 PM)ricardouk Wrote: [ -> ]Is mybb without mods search engine friendly?

If it was completely horrid it would not be possible to improve on it with a simple plugin such as Google SEO. It would be a lost cause from the start because there is only so much you can do in a plugin.

What no plugin can give you, is content, activity, and popularity. mybboard.net has lots of backlinks, and lots of users, who are constantly producing new content, Google loves that kind of thing.

I know one very popular forum where Google indexes new content usually within 5 minutes. This means you can disregard the forums search function completely because Google does the same job faster and better. However a small site will never receive that kind of special treatment, unfortunately...
im not really interested in the speed that search engines get the forum indexed, what i would like is that the forum title results on search engines appear with words/keywords instead of numbers, from what i read with or without the mod the results appear like that:
[Image: mybb01.jpg]

With google seo activated we also get a "pretty url" in search engines (green area)?

I think my doubts have been answered, from what i tested so far mybb is the forum script i found easier to administrate and understand

Thanks everyone for all your help