MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Latest Threads in center column of index
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is there a way to show the latest Threads or Latest Posts on the index page in the center column? I'm totally lost with the template system in MyBB, but I love its elagance.

If not, I installed Proportal that does that part, but it doesnt list the forum summaries in portal. I would like those in the center column in it requires me using proportal instead of index.php

Thanks!
What part of the template system are you unsure about?? We may be able to help you understand it Smile

So you want it to be Name/Description | Last Post | Threads | Posts?? You'd need the forumbit_depth1_cat, forumbit_depth2_cat and forumbit_depth2_forum templates; I assume you'll be able to see what HTML to change around, if not, we'll help you out further.
Like Matt said. You need to edit those 3 templates in turn:

In the first search:
<td class="tcat" colspan="2"><span class="smalltext"><strong>{$lang->forumbit_forum}</strong></span></td>
<td class="tcat" width="85" align="center" style="white-space: nowrap"><span class="smalltext"><strong>{$lang->forumbit_threads}</strong></span></td>
<td class="tcat" width="85" align="center" style="white-space: nowrap"><span class="smalltext"><strong>{$lang->forumbit_posts}</strong></span></td>
<td class="tcat" width="200" align="center"><span class="smalltext"><strong>{$lang->forumbit_lastpost}</strong></span></td>
And replace with:
<td class="tcat" colspan="2"><span class="smalltext"><strong>{$lang->forumbit_forum}</strong></span></td>
<td class="tcat" width="200" align="center"><span class="smalltext"><strong>{$lang->forumbit_lastpost}</strong></span></td>
<td class="tcat" width="85" align="center" style="white-space: nowrap"><span class="smalltext"><strong>{$lang->forumbit_threads}</strong></span></td>
<td class="tcat" width="85" align="center" style="white-space: nowrap"><span class="smalltext"><strong>{$lang->forumbit_posts}</strong></span></td>

In the second search:
<td class="{$bgcolor}" valign="top" align="center" style="white-space: nowrap">{$threads}{$unapproved['unapproved_threads']}</td>
<td class="{$bgcolor}" valign="top" align="center" style="white-space: nowrap">{$posts}{$unapproved['unapproved_posts']}</td>
<td class="{$bgcolor}" valign="top" align="right" style="white-space: nowrap">{$lastpost}</td>
And replace with:
<td class="{$bgcolor}" valign="top" align="right" style="white-space: nowrap">{$lastpost}</td>
<td class="{$bgcolor}" valign="top" align="center" style="white-space: nowrap">{$threads}{$unapproved['unapproved_threads']}</td>
<td class="{$bgcolor}" valign="top" align="center" style="white-space: nowrap">{$posts}{$unapproved['unapproved_posts']}</td>

In the third search:
And replace with:

These codes depending on the theme might be a little different.
(2010-02-16, 11:02 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]What part of the template system are you unsure about?? We may be able to help you understand it Smile

So you want it to be Name/Description | Last Post | Threads | Posts?? You'd need the forumbit_depth1_cat, forumbit_depth2_cat and forumbit_depth2_forum templates; I assume you'll be able to see what HTML to change around, if not, we'll help you out further.

I'm actually suprised that having the latest threads or posts in the center column is not a standard feature? Its the way PHPBB, Vbulletin and other forums do it.

First thing all my users want is to see the latest 10-20 posts to the forum and they want it to be in the header, so its always accessible.

I thought there was just an option I was failing to turn on.
(2010-02-16, 11:16 PM)virus4 Wrote: [ -> ]Like Matt said. You need to edit those 3 templates in turn:

In the first search:
And replace with:

In the second search:
And replace with:

In the third search:
And replace with:

These codes depending on the theme might be a little different.

Thank you for the prompt Explanation. Im looking at it and I would have no problem searching for and making those modifications, however, wouldn't have to add in a new block somewhere? and what about "portal_latestthread" and "portal_latestthread_threads"?
At me everything is working and I did not have any units to add. And yet it is a portal system:
Title
Last post
Replies
Views

And you have the layout you want? Can give here some screenshots of how it looks on you now and how to look.
(2010-02-17, 11:40 AM)virus4 Wrote: [ -> ]At me everything is working and I did not have any units to add. And yet it is a portal system:
Title
Last post
Replies
Views

And you have the layout you want? Can give here some screenshots of how it looks on you now and how to look.

There is nothing "Broken" - the system looks exactly like it was designed to look. It just seems that in general, something is missing.

Many big forums show a "Latest Posts" or "Latests Threads" right up front and its the first thing you see when you log in so you can see what you missed over night. I see that portal.php has this "Latest Threads" block exactly as I want it - in the center column.

But I want that behavior, "Latest Threads" in the center column, in index.php and I have no idea how to get it there.

Thanks!
After you got ready to above codes. You have to rotate them in turn in the template: forumbit_depth1_cat, forumbit_depth2_cat and forumbit_depth2_forum.

And if that's not what you draw as far as it has to look and give a forum URL.
I don't think they want to move the last post column like you and I thought, I thought that as it said to show it on the index in the centre column, the only columns in the index are the forums themselves. If you want an overview of recent threads there's a sidebox plugin and an overview plugin available.
(2010-02-17, 12:23 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think they want to move the last post column like you and I thought, I thought that as it said to show it on the index in the centre column, the only columns in the index are the forums themselves. If you want an overview of recent threads there's a sidebox plugin and an overview plugin available.

but I want to change that.

If you can make the last X posts appear on the portal.php, there must be a way to make it appear on index.php. I consider this necessary as my board members are asking for it and this behaviour already exists in other boards.

@virus4, i'm sorry, but I do not understand the templating system in MyBB. I have been trying to wrap my brain around it and I recognize it is very sophisticated, but your references to templating modules don't mean anything to me because I have no point of reference. I have no idea how to code the rest of what is necessary to make them work, nor do I know where to put them or how to call the result from the program. I'm trying, but I just dont get it yet.
OK, then there are plugins on the Mods site, and MyBBCentral.com, to do this.
Pages: 1 2