MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Custom Profile Fields] On registration but not required?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
+1 +1 +1

I found this thread after I typed up a lengthly post about this.
http://community.mybb.com/thread-86171.html

Perhaps this could be a plugin?
(2011-01-13, 04:07 AM)Monaco Wrote: [ -> ]+1 +1 +1

I found this thread after I typed up a lengthly post about this.
http://community.mybb.com/thread-86171.html

Perhaps this could be a plugin?

This is a serious usability problem, and I've filed a bug for it.

(2010-03-29, 05:19 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]I see your point, but what i mean is its locked for new code additions. Its almost done really.

MyBB 1.6.3 was released in April 2011. No need to wait for 2.0.
(2011-06-30, 11:21 PM)dandv Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB 1.6.3 was released in April 2011. No need to wait for 2.0.

Surely that's up to us? Minor point releases x.x.X tend to be bug fixing releases, not functionality changes. It's only recently that we've looked into changing features introduced into 1.6 that might need 'fixing' and introducing feature updates in minor points.

The idea behind the registration page is to be as simple as possible, with only required (or basic forum options) fields being present. Hence, why there is no option to display non-required custom profile fields.
(2011-07-01, 08:28 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-06-30, 11:21 PM)dandv Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-03-29, 05:19 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]I see your point, but what i mean is its locked for new code additions. Its almost done really.

MyBB 1.6.3 was released in April 2011. No need to wait for 2.0.

Surely that's up to us?

Of course. I was pointing out that many things have been fixed since 03-29-2010, when Aristotle said that no bugfixes would happen.

(2011-07-01, 08:28 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]The idea behind the registration page is to be as simple as possible, with only required (or basic forum options) fields being present. Hence, why there is no option to display non-required custom profile fields.

That certainly makes sense. What I've seen on my forums (non-technical audience) is that if users don't see the custom profile fields on registration, rarely do they bother to go to their User CP and update them. It's simple psychology: people's time is precious, and they're unlikely to go back after registration and fiddle with yet another profile to configure. But at the same time, people love self-expression. So let's give them a chance to do that with minimum effort.

Since the fields are optional, those in a hurry don't have to fill them in, so displaying the optional custom profile fields works for both needs. Those who are likely to never fill them, will skip them at registration, and those who need a simple nudge will fill them at registration.
I could swear I suggested this before.

Either way, with the current options that they have, +1
I agree. Should be a couple hours for dev to do this. It probably won't be included in 1.x branch though. Just support it as a 2.0 feature.
(2011-07-05, 08:22 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I agree. Should be a couple hours for dev to do this. It probably won't be included in 1.x branch though. Just support it as a 2.0 feature.

Labrocca, thanks for sharing my point of view; it's good to have your authority on my side Smile

I submitted a patch on the bug tracker. It's much simpler that I thought, so devs, please let me now if it's sane.
I don't think changing how the registration works is needed. Maybe were better off looking into this for later on in the 1.6 series when were struggling for changes!
I don't see what you mean, custom profile fields don't have to be required..
(2011-07-07, 11:14 PM)Bencori Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see what you mean, custom profile fields don't have to be required..

On registration.
Pages: 1 2 3 4