MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [SOLVED] Question about the archive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Would it be ok if I was to remove the archive from my forum?

If so, what would I need to edit?

I just feel that there is no need for it.

-Drake™
If you delete the link to it in the footer and delete the archive folder itself, it'll be fine.
Random semi related question, without attempting to hijack the topic (since it appears to have been answered). If the link in the footer is removed, but the archive (folder) itself is left, can search engine bots still use the archive mode? I know you can still use it without the link, but that's if you know the URL. I'm not sure how search engine bots even use it, or how it works with MyBB, but with vBulletin, it was highly helpful for rankings and such.
I'm pretty sure search bot wouldn't be able to find it if there's no links to it, like they can't find the admin folder.
You would need to have a link somewhere else to like like maybe in a sitemap. If it was already indexed they may return to it but new bots couldn't find it and you probably wouldn't get indexed as often.
Thanks Matt.R
(2010-02-18, 07:18 PM)Kiwi76 Wrote: [ -> ]If the link in the footer is removed, but the archive (folder) itself is left, can search engine bots still use the archive mode?

Sure, all it takes is for anyone anywhere to make a link to it.

If you don't want search engines somewhere, delete it, or block it with robots.txt, or give it a random name that no one's ever gonna guess.
I was asking for the opposite reason. I wanted to remove the link, without preventing bots from using it. If removing it mostly prevents and hinders that, then I won't be doing it.
You could put in a hidden link so the bots could use it, while removing the link in the footer.