MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: cPanel Won't Delete Directories
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to delete a few old addon domain directories and they won't go.

When I hit delete, they regenerate.

Filezilla and cPanel File Manager both don't work to delete. Any ideas?
Check the permissions. Wink
I've noticed that sometimes when a script makes directories it makes apache the owner making it so people can't delete it. So you may have to contact your host Wink.
If a script you are using makes a directory and doesn't make your username the owner/group then you should move to a server that is correctly configured. To many insecure web hosts out there don't know how to properly configure Apache. Sad
I'm with Zash.

It was an addon domain, configured through cPanel. I have had no problem deleteing other addon domains, just these two that seem to be stubborn :/
(2010-02-21, 03:28 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]If a script you are using makes a directory and doesn't make your username the owner/group then you should move to a server that is correctly configured. To many insecure web hosts out there don't know how to properly configure Apache. Sad

I've had it happen to me on a number of hosts though Toungue. Although it was only with drupal and one file in there. it's so annoying Undecided
(2010-02-21, 04:10 AM)Lyndon Wrote: [ -> ]I'm with Zash.

It was an addon domain, configured through cPanel. I have had no problem deleteing other addon domains, just these two that seem to be stubborn :/
I would have them check the permissions (RWX and owner/group), you can check them yourself but I don't want to go through explaining how to possibly exploit your server's security. Wink

(2010-02-21, 05:07 AM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-02-21, 03:28 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]If a script you are using makes a directory and doesn't make your username the owner/group then you should move to a server that is correctly configured. To many insecure web hosts out there don't know how to properly configure Apache. Sad

I've had it happen to me on a number of hosts though Toungue. Although it was only with drupal and one file in there. it's so annoying Undecided
IMO, all web hosting accounts should run as the username and not as nobody. If you run as nobody then that means every user on that server has the same permission on all of the files in the /home/ directory and a single PHP script can control all of the user's files on that server (and if you want a list of all of the usernames on your server it's just 1 line of code Wink).
I think it's more to do with drupal though(as I've never had it happen with something else(well personally)). Because it's not owned by nobody it's owned by apache if I remember correctly.
Drupal is owned by apache? Wow, change hosts fast because that is wrong on soooo many levels. Big Grin

Anything in your directory should always be owned by your username (even when created by Apache which should be running under your username and not nobody), no matter what. If it's not owned by your username then your server is insecure (unless it's your server and you are the only person using it in which case it's secure but not a good idea for scripts that create their own files).
Well I don't know really. It was only one file the rest of the files were owned by me. But, always pissed me off because it happened on like 3 or 4 different hosts.