MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Use SEO friendly titles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I wonder if it is possible that MyBB uses SEO friendly titles everywhere?

Most templates look like this:

<title>{$mybb->settings['bbname']}  - {$lang->here-we-are}</title>

It would be better to reverse this:

<title>{$lang->here-we-are} - {$mybb->settings['bbname']}</title>

This is more SEO friendly! Of course I can do the changes manually but it's a pain the lime to check every template and correct the HTML title. Undecided

Also I see many inconsistences of title. In some templates there exists no BBName and in some there is only the BBName. Huh

I don't know if I'm allowed to open a new ticket. It's not directly a bug or a feature request...
I'd like to see this too, I had changed all mine but when I changed theme it meant I needed to do it all again. It would be nice to see it as standard.
Meh, I honestly don't think it's a pain in the lime. Just copy and paste to a few templates.
I did this too once, and it was great. But I don't think this should be implemented, yet.
Here are a list of template changes of site that are used with MyBB default SEO URLs too (at least these site should have SEO titles because MyBB offers SEO URLs to them):

showthread
<title>{$thread['subject']} - {$settings['bbname']}</title>

forumdisplay
<title>{$foruminfo['name']} - {$settings['bbname']}</title>

announcement
<title>{$lang->forum_announcement} - {$settings['bbname']}</title>

member_profile
<title>{$lang->profile} - {$mybb->settings['bbname']}</title>

calendar
<title>{$calendar['name']} - {$mybb->settings['bbname']}</title>

calendar_event
<title>{$event['name']} - {$mybb->settings['bbname']}</title>

calendar_dayview
<title>{$day} {$monthnames[$month]} {$year} - {$mybb->settings['bbname']}</title>
(there does not exist a complete "dayview" text so I suggest to use the same text as used in breadcrumb)

calendar_weekview
<title>{$lang->weekly_overview} {$friendly_week_from} - {$friendly_week_to} - {$mybb->settings['bbname']}</title>
(there does not exist a complete "weekview" text so I suggest to use the same text as used in main talbe subject (breadcrumb says nothing SEO important on this page))

These are the basics. No code changes are required. So I don't see the problem to include them to MyBB as default titles.
my personal opinion:

Some forum, they will hide those bbname being displayed on Web Browser.
In my case, mostly users are browsing from their Office while work Smile
(2010-02-21, 02:40 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]Meh, I honestly don't think it's a pain in the lime. Just copy and paste to a few templates.
I did this too once, and it was great. But I don't think this should be implemented, yet.

There are 129(!) titles in default MyBB template. If you checked all of them you earn my respect!

(2010-02-21, 08:42 PM)FBI Wrote: [ -> ]my personal opinion:

Some forum, they will hide those bbname being displayed on Web Browser.
In my case, mostly users are browsing from their Office while work Smile

Sorry, but I don't see a connection to SEO friendly titles... Toungue
SEO for Dummies seems like a nice book. And I can get it cheap from Amazon, thanks for the tip.

Anyway querschlaeger, yes, there are a few templates you need to edit to make this work. But most of them don't really matter. Like the calendar or the profiles. The most important ones are the showthread and forumdisplay.
(2010-02-22, 01:10 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]SEO for Dummies seems like a nice book. And I can get it cheap from Amazon, thanks for the tip.

Anyway querschlaeger, yes, there are a few templates you need to edit to make this work. But most of them don't really matter. Like the calendar or the profiles. The most important ones are the showthread and forumdisplay.

maybe there are not important for users
but for search engines are Dodgy